Questions about TBC bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Adillo303

1) I have been using my existing mandrel bushings without the mandrel till I get close. Then I remove the bushings altogether and use the dead center and a 60 degree cone in the tailstock. It seems to me that this is the most accurate way to turn. So Question one - Am I missing something here?

2) At times (More often than I would like) I forget to buy bushings when I buy a new kit. In this case, I either use something close and then just use the centers to finish. I have gotten to the point that I keep a micrometer at the lathe and the same hardware that I am building and turn by the mike. Question two - Is there anything wrong with that?

3) Those of you that make your own TBC bushings, what do you use for material?

I am very happy with my fit and finish and haven't wrecked any kits yet.

Thank you in advance for any advice that you might give.

Andy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Andy, I have done the same thing for new kits that I was evaluating and it works fine, until someone tells me otherwise. Regarding TBC bushings, I feel the concentricity is better on the ones I have bought from Penturners Products and Lazerlinez than the mass produced ones. You avoid the concentric issue when you remove the bushings and go to bare centers. I turn to a mic exclusively, but the TBC bushings let me get very close without having to worry if I went too far -- so I can get to diameter in less time before I have to stop/measure/start. Just personal preference. Probably no difference in results.

Adillo303

Granted, that the aftermarket bushings would be better quality.

I am considering getting an 8' delran rod for just in cases.

Seems to me that any bushings going to eventually be "off" due to sanding and inadvertent contact. Using bushings does not take . Into account any variation in parts from kit to kit or manufacturer to manufacturer.

I suppose that a 60° cone in the end of the bushing could be a touch safer than using mandrel bushings.

eranox

I am very happy with my fit and finish and haven't wrecked any kits yet.

To me, that says it all! Nothing wrong with your setup, although you should be cautious not to overtighten when you're turning with the live/dead centers directly in the brass tube. I've accidentally flared a couple of tubes out at the ends, and in one instance cracked the blank. Anyway, it sounds like you know what you're doing.

toddlajoie

1) I have been using my existing mandrel bushings without the mandrel till I get close. Then I remove the bushings altogether and use the dead center and a 60 degree cone in the tailstock. It seems to me that this is the most accurate way to turn. So Question one - Am I missing something here?

2) At times (More often than I would like) I forget to buy bushings when I buy a new kit. In this case, I either use something close and then just use the centers to finish. I have gotten to the point that I keep a micrometer at the lathe and the same hardware that I am building and turn by the mike. Question two - Is there anything wrong with that?

I do both #1 and #2, depending on the situation. I have TBC bushings for the Baron/Navigator Seriese, the Jr, Series, Cigars, the Sierra Wall St series, and the 7mm series (slim, trim, Euro), and use them ONLY to get close to size. I Always do final size turning and ALL sanding without bushings and use a set of digital calipers.

For other kits, (Atlas/Carraba is probably the one I do MOST, but also things like the Seam Rippers, bracelet helpers, various keychains and other odd kits I only do once in a while) I turn completely without bushings between centers. I have not had any problems starting off with square stock and getting it round with nothing but the tubes and 60 Deg centers. That said, I've never done it with the more difficult materials (M3, Truestone, etc). I have also found that the TBC bushings I have are sometimes a bit off with some Tube-In Cast blanks I have purchased, often making it so that they are too tight to get into the tubes, so there have been several Jr. Gents mostly that I have turned completely without bushings simply because of what I assume is slop in the tubes used by some of the commercial casters (BIG NOTE: NOT the folks like Capt. G., John U, and the various guest artists on the well known IAP vendor sites, but the ones sold by the larger online retail corporations, which I assume are mass produced by someone...)

TonyL

Just got a hold of Constant. I am seeing him this afternoon. Can't wait to try this out. He also has 7 mm bushing, just not on his website. Thank you and keep the expertise flowing!!

I gave up on my mandrel a long time ago. Maybe I never got a good one but I have not had good luck with them. I love TBC and that is how I turn all of my pens. I don't use a mic but could use one. I keep a set of calipers at the lathe and use them for my finials. Well I guess for me the TBC is what I like. That doesn't make it the right way it just make is the right way for me.

Top Bottom