Question on adding a dust collector

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tinker7

I have been using a fan to blow dust away from inhalation, which I thought worked fine as I would only make 1 pen at a time. The more I learn the more fun this hobby presents. I made 32 pens a couple of weeks ago and have been coughing ever since. The cough has now subsided and I hopefull will be ready to go next week. (The CA has a sting)

I read a bunch of Bills stuff on dust collectors and have decided to mount mine outside.
Here is what I plan to do, and I am asking for input, cause the last system I bought was a waste of $$$$.

1. I am looking at the HF 3 hp cyclone, which will be mounted outside, about 4 feet from my lathe and Scroll saw, and sanders.
2. I am planning on running 6 inch pvc through the wall
3. I have not figured yet how to connect the 6 inch to the lathe to get maximum suction at that point.

Roy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Roy:
A dust collection is a must, if you plan to mamke a lot of turned items, expecially from really dusty woods like Walnut.

I am changing my dust collection system and have been doing a lot of reading. Most experts suggest NOT using PVC because of static electricity and the risk of fire and explosion.

I am not bad mouthing PVC, but I have decided to use metal ducting. You may want to do a little reading on using PVC as dust collection ducting.

Respectfully submited.

Last edited:

Russianwolf

Roy:
A dust collection is a must, if you plan to mamke a lot of turned items, expecially from really dusty woods like Walnut.

I am changing my dust collection system and have been doing a lot of reading. Most experts suggest NOT using PVC because of static electricity and the risk of fire and explosion.

I am not bad mouthing PVC, but I have decided to use metal ducting. You may want to do a little reading on using PVC as dust collection ducting.

Respectfully submited.
Chances of a dust explosion in a home shop are so minuscule as to be non-existent. We just can't generate the amount of dust needed to saturate the air enough, even in a DC pipe.

From what I understand Mythbusters even did a segment on this and couldn't make it happen.

Dave Turner

I would have no problems using PVC as thousands of others have already done. On my readings (see here), I have come across no actual report of an explosion occurring due to static discharge within a dust collecting system of the scale we are talking about. While I do agree that there is a theoretical risk, it can be eliminated by simply running a bare grounded wire within your PVC ducting.

I'm glad you decided to put your unit outside. Aside from better particle discharge management, the real advantage is noise control. I really dislike the loud noise from my non-cyclone unit. but am unable to place it outside and don't have enough room to wall it off.

I bought this dust collection chute while on sale and am still trying to figure out the best way to mount it by my lathe. I'll be looking forward to see how others managed it.

Dave

Fred

I have been using a fan to blow dust away from inhalation, which I thought worked fine as I would only make 1 pen at a time. The more I learn the more fun this hobby presents. I made 32 pens a couple of weeks ago and have been coughing ever since. The cough has now subsided and I hopefull will be ready to go next week. (The CA has a sting)

I read a bunch of Bills stuff on dust collectors and have decided to mount mine outside.
Here is what I plan to do, and I am asking for input, cause the last system I bought was a waste of $$$$.

1. I am looking at the HF 3 hp cyclone, which will be mounted outside, about 4 feet from my lathe and Scroll saw, and sanders.
2. I am planning on running 6 inch PVC through the wall
3. I have not figured yet how to connect the 6 inch to the lathe to get maximum suction at that point.

Roy

Having been in the field of health investigation for many of the better insurance providers I have long preached about the disadvantages of inadequate dust collection in wood working shops that I will not get back on my soapbox and begin preaching again.

Take it for what it is worth when I say GET THE BEST DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM YOU CAN POSSIBLY GET ... and GET IT IN PLACE NOW.

The big problem with dust collection is keeping the filters clean enough and long enough to allow us to get much work accomplished. Regardless of the filtration method used, it is the fine particulate material that KILLS. Maybe not right away in most cases, but after a period of exposure to the fine material our lungs just can't handle it any longer and they begin to fail rapidly.

Find a respiratory therapist and ask them about this ... what you learn will probably change your life in the shop.

As for your cough ... sounds to me like your body is telling you something ... and you need to listen.

A 3hp dust collector should be adequate for most small shop operations. Get the collection port as close to the source of the dust and catch all that you possibly can.

I would also say that the DC bag is not the best thing to have inside, but since you have a way to put the DC outside I wouldn't worry about that issue. The only problem I see with an outside unit is that the DC will also take out all your hear or AC along with the duct.

PVC is also not being proved to be a problem as far as static goes ... it is possible but under different conditions than a small shop.

The only 'problem' with the static I have ever witnessed, is that dust of all sorts often tends to collect on the outside of the tubing and that dust becomes another type of problem when the PVC is disturbed and the dust is knocked off.

Unless you are using materials of a highly explosive nature, I would say go ahead and use the PVC for tubing. You will end up using flexible hose to connect the PVC to the plastic device you show in your post. You just need to keep in mind that any bend in the flow of air is a restriction and thus cuts down the efficiency. A run of four feet should not be a problem unless you actually kink the hose ... that's bad.

Adapters from 6" to 4" are available ... look here for a possible source:
http://www.ptreeusa.com/dust_list.htm These folks sell to Woodcraft and Rockler and Highland in my area of GA.

If PeachTree doesn't have one, then check the heating ductwork from Home Depot for a metal reducer. Be sure ALL your joints are sealed adequately.

Got more questions be sure and post as someone here on the Forum has experienced almost any kind/type of problem anyone else should ever encounter. And we all have our favorite solutions. :)

BTW I use the same collector you plan on using and to mount it I took a 3 foot length of 2x4 and cut a grove along the 2" side and screwed it to the back side of my JET lathe, then slid the collector mounting lip into the grove and positioned it wherever I need it to be and screwed it in place. Also, there possibly will be a loss of travel in your tailstock so slide the collector as close as possible to the headstock. I have had no problem with my banjo at all ... just a mild shove and it fits over the lip of the collector and inside the large cavity.

Have fun and turn healthy ... your future life depends on it my friend.

jttheclockman

As much as a lathe can generate alot of dust and mostly from sanding., I sure hope you plan on incorporating other dust producing tools especially from a unit that big because that would be overkill for a lathe only. There are many good articles on planning dust collection systems and i think some were mentioned here over time and you may want to do a search here but also google can get you alot of info. The info will give you the needs for each tool used and how to size the piping. I will let others talk about PVC because I am not a fan of using it for dustcollecting. Static electricity increase in the winter time so be aware of this. Good to see you doing something that is well worth the effort.

Fred

... I sure hope you plan on incorporating other dust producing tools especially from a unit that big because that would be overkill for a lathe only.

John T. ... I believe that his interests will be growing and he will expanding his shop size.

IMHO ... at least he is heading in the right direction with a DC that can expand with him. He seems to be adding this at an early stage instead of letting his health get compromised and THEN wishing he had done it in the beginning as so many other folks do.

By then, a few hundred dollars for adequate dust collection really doesn't seem all that expensive when compaired to the medical costs of 1000's in TRYING to get well later. :eek:

Padre

Roy:

Respectfully submited.
Chances of a dust explosion in a home shop are so minuscule as to be non-existent. We just can't generate the amount of dust needed to saturate the air enough, even in a DC pipe.

From what I understand Mythbusters even did a segment on this and couldn't make it happen.

There has never been a documented case of a dust explosion caused by PVC induced static.

I am also an EXTREMELY HAPPY customer of Clearview Cyclones. I heartily recommend their systems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom