Question about Sierra Twists

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbob91577

I just purchased my first two Sierra Twist Kits. I haven't glued anything up yet, but I did a pre-check to make sure my parts were all included. It seems the tube fits loosely over the tip end of the pen and the cap end fits firmly into the other end of the tube - my question is what actually holds the cap/tube end onto the tip/twist transmission end of the tube?

Does the transmission fit up inside of the cap and hold the two pieces together snuggly or am I looking at it wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Also, the sierra is VERY sensitive to glue in the ends of the tubes and any glue there will cause the barrel to bind on the lower portion. Be sure the ends are clean of any glue...you'll know if there is any glue inside the ends of the tube....is it hard to twist or does it stick...:wink:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

DurocShark

Think of it as two sections. The cap and barrel form one section, and the tip with transmission form another.

The top of the transmission binds to the cap of the barrel. The tip of the pen should NOT bind with the barrel, but instead move smoothly. (Rough or sloppy movement can be resolved with some wax in the barrel.)

If everything is assembled correctly, turning the tip while holding the barrel should result in the refill coming out or going in. Replacing the refill should be done by pulling the tip from the barrel, with the transmission attached.

Hope this helps. I had trouble visualizing it too when I did my first one. It's so completely different from the 7mm pens I'd done before.

GouletPens

One thing I've found is that it helps to put just a dab of glue at the top of the transmission before pressing it into the cap. This pen has a tendency to untwist while in normal use. If you glue the transmission then you are able to really ratchet it down when screwing it together so it won't have a tendency to come untwisted unless you MEAN to.

Top Bottom