Put Jr Gent 2 Together backward

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

No idea how I let it happen but pressed a Jr. Gent 2 Barrel together backward. Didn't notice until I had pressed both ends in. Yeah stupid I know.

How do I get it apart or is it screwed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Years ago, each one came packaged with a threaded plug. That was very useful for knocking them apart. If you do not have one of those, use the endcap. Thread it on one end and leave the other end open. Then insert a rod (such as a transfer punch or some other dowel) until it seats against the inside of the endcap. Use a hammer to knock that end out. Then use a larger rod to knock the other end out (or screw the endcap on the other end and use the same rod).

PenMan1

If it is the body section and the trim rings fit correctly, simply put the nib section on the other end.

If the trim rings do not fit, you can knock out the thread couplers with a transfer punch and hammer.

Just remember to tap the punch lightly with the hammer, while holding the pen barrel firmly in a gloved hand.

Last edited:

Haynie

I'm confused. It is the body not the cap so these are no plastic things to worry about. It is also a non postable version so I cannot unscrew it.

PenMan1

On the non post, using a transfer punch just smaller than the threads for the front section. Place the punch in from the nib end and strike sharply with a hammer (while holding the pen body firmly in a gloved hand) to remove the non-postable end.

Once the non-postable end has been tapped out, use a larger punch through the tube on the end you just knocked out and tap out the other end.

A transfer punch set is almost an absolutely necessary tool set for pen repair ($9.99 at harbor freight, less a 20 percent off coupon).

Last edited:
Hey Andy why do you use a glove. I just love the feel of the hammer when those parts come out! I use a mallet! Need to get a glove though!

Dale Allen

I have several sizes of plastic rods with larger ends that I use for this.
The plastic has less chance of damaging the inside of the tube or the fitting.

Top Bottom