Problem w/ sizing on woodcraft cigar pen kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vthowe

Hey all...I just did my first cigar pen from woodcraft and the top of the diameter at the top of the pen where the clip goes on is noticible larger than that of the clip and top. Anyone else have this issue? Everything else looks great.

Thoughts?:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
A picture would help, but my guess is that you swapped a bushing? The cigar kit is notorious for that. 4 different bushings - all for the same sized tube. I know I did that early in my pen making days.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A picture would help, but my guess is that you swapped a bushing? The cigar kit is notorious for that. 4 different bushings - all for the same sized tube. I know I did that early in my pen making days.

For anyone who has ever done this (or any other pen bushing screw up), pick a color and use a sharpie to color (mine are red) all the NIB bushings.
The rest will usually fall in place, just the nib and clip end can be very close but, when the pen is done, noticably WRONG!!

vthowe

Photo Attached

There is really only the 2 top bushing I could have swapped...and the narrow end is at the top so that would make it worse if I swapped those around. I did a CA finish but all were squared up well when completed.

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 573

vthowe

Well... i do have to say that the instructions say the bushings are 4 different sizes...I only have 3 sizes...the two small ones I used for the bottom...wondering if I got the wrong bushings? I checked and double checked and the two small ones are the same size for sure.

That then would make me wonder if the middle bushing and the top is wrong.

mb007

That then would make me wonder if the middle bushing and the top is wrong.

I think you caught it! It looks like you swapped the top bushing for the lower barrel with the top bushing for the top barrel. The middle of the pen uses the two largest bushings, and the nib and top end use the smaller bushings. If you have calipers, check the two small bushings - they should be close, but slightly different sizes!

vthowe

Good deal, yeah I do have some calipers. I did put them end to end and they were exact from what I could tell...maybe it was so slight I didn't notice...hopefully so or I'll be back to woodcraft for a new kit and bushings!

Thanks!

alphageek

Former Moderator
One more interesting tip... Once you swap them, the top of the lower barrel always seemed weird for me. Looks too big and just wrong because of the round ring joining it. I tend to round over that part and end up a little smaller than the recommended size. I think that looks better IMO.

mb007

I'll second alphageek's recommendation! I've only made a couple cigars, but I have noticed that as well!

I checked a set of instructions I had lying around, and it said the two smaller bushings are supposed to be 0.460 and 0.475 inches. There's always the possibility that the bushings you bought had two of the same size!

vthowe

Thanks for the replys!

That was it...they are so close in size you can't tell from looking...might be a tip for someone to add to the instructions!

I'm w/ you on the rounded over piece as well, doesn't seem like it should be that way...but thanks for the advise!

cwolfs69

i have stopped using the bushings for anything except to get the blanks close. then i measure when taking to size. the cigar sizes are my most common used. the top blank is .475 on the clip end and .575 on the center band end. the lower blank is .530 on the center end and .459 on the nib end. the easiest to confuse are the nib and clip bushings. it appears to me that might be what he has done when i look at the pen.

keithbyrd

There is really only the 2 top bushing I could have swapped...and the narrow end is at the top so that would make it worse if I swapped those around. I did a CA finish but all were squared up well when completed.
I did the same thing Bushings 1 and 3 were reversed 1 being the clip end and 3 being the top of the bottom half.
I take a metal engraver and put dots on the end of the busing to id their order ., .., ..., .... - Got a new set of cigar busings and mixed up 1 and 3 and marked them wrong!

TonyBal

This set of digital calipers really comes in handy with pen making. I also use it to check bushing diameters for proper set-up (especially with cigar bushings) & to check them for excessive ware. I tend to sand on them more than I should during finishing & there is the occasional contact with a turning tool. Anyway, I think I may have paid even less than this with one of there crazy sales. It also comes with a plastic carrying case lined with foam to keep it safe. :biggrin:

Digital Calipers - Save on these 6 Inch Digital Calipers

PenMan1

For anyone who has ever done this (or any other pen bushing screw up), pick a color and use a sharpie to color (mine are red) all the NIB bushings.
The rest will usually fall in place, just the nib and clip end can be very close but, when the pen is done, noticably WRONG!!

Better yet, steal four different colors of nail polish from the wife! Sharpie color goes away with first sanding.

I'll have to admit that bushing placement on Berea Cigar is more confusing than 3D Chinese Checkers!

sbell111

My solution is to merely take a glance at the instructions every time I set up a blank to turn. That quick step completely eliminates this problem.

Also, I acquired a few sets of cigar bushings that use a single bushing instead of two 'center' bushings. This makes it super simple to set up the blank for turning. Of course, I have no clue where these bushings came from. I'll figure that out when it comes time to reorder.

Top Bottom