Problem w/Jr. Gent II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

I recently put an absolutely gorgeous piece of highly figured Turkish walnut (from a vendor here) on a Black Ti JGII. I think the combo is stunning. Haven't taken a pic yet and mine probably won't do it justice. Haven't made one of these in awhile. I usually do JG1s which I like. Anyway, I decided to carry it for a day. The cap requires only 1/4 turn to put on and off. Well, the thing kept opening in my shirt pocket. I see nothing to complain about in my F&F or any other obvious problem. I had intended to send this pen off with a handful of others to an outfit which I hope will buy a bunch of my pens. As nice as it looks, I don't think I can send this one as-is. Anyone else have a problem like this? Any suggestions? Russ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I've never had that problem with a jr II. All that I have now take at least one full complete twist with the cap to come off. Is it possible the plastic thread insert in the cap slid up the barrel on you or it was damaged or cross threaded? Ive replaced them for customers after cross threading with these...Exotic Blanks :: Pen Kits :: Pen Kits (By Kit Name) :: Jr Gent II Pen Kits (All) :: Jr II Center Band Insert - Choose Each or 10 Pack. If that's not the problem, check with the vendor you bought them from. Maybe they have another idea.

1080Wayne

I think it all started as part of a conspiracy by shirt manufactures many years ago to sell more shirts . They succeeded in convincing pen manufacturers that their customers were demanding an easier opening pen , and that switching from a two start thread to a three or even a four start thread would be the way to achieve that goal . They were very successful . The change also gave a small boost to the o-ring industry . The pen customers , being sheep , have not woken up to the fact that they could herd the pen manufacturers in a different direction if they choose . And to be fair , the solution to the problem is more difficult now that the majority of both shirt and pen manufacturers reside in the same country .

I have never had that problem Russ. I have made 100s of these pens... No complaints from my customers either? Usually takes a turn and about 1/2 to set these. Did you get the ends mixed up? Sure sounds like you may have..

plano_harry

You didn't do anything wrong. As long as the section end is turned to the diameter of the section trim ring, the cap can fully bottom on the ring. I have had a couple of JR2s with loose threads. Sold a fountain pen recently that had a cap which would not stay tight so I was worried that it would come open in carrying. Did a search on IAP and found a 2009 thread by Texdurango where he described running a thin bead of black silicone inside the cap at the entry to the plastic thread, smooth with your finger and let dry. It made the cap more secure, but I don't know if it is a long term fix. Last I heard, it was still fine. Hope that helps. The newer kits seem to lock pretty well.

Russknan

Thanks to all. Solved it! All I can say is that some DOPE put a little trim ring thingy on in the wrong direction, preventing the cap from screwing down as far as it should. I won't mention who the dope was because I don't want to embarrass him. Good thing I pay him very little per hour! Russ

Top Bottom