Problem with Mesa Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hornet406

Hi all. I'm wondering if anyone has has an issue with Mesa transmissions. I have 3 kits I purchased with the same issue. I pressed the cap into the barrel, and then assemble the pen. Everything twists easily but the ink cartridge does not come out. Problem is that everything twists to easily, because the cap is not grabbing the end transmission. All 3 kits are doing the same thing.

It seems that gluing the transmission into the cap would be the logical fix, but not one I am to fond of. Does anyone have another idea??

If gluing is the only option, which glue would be best? CA, Epoxy,...??

Thanks for any help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

I think the Mesa is like the Sierra, Gatsby, etc. I have made many and have not had that problem. Did you press the short tube extender on the finial end with the clip? The tube extender must be pressed onto the clilp/cap assembly before you press the top onto the pen body. Then the transmission presses into that when you assemble the pen. That's the only thing I can think of to check on. The ones I made worked fine but I did glue the transmission into the short tube assembly because my customers were pulling the pen apart to change refills unstead of unscrewing it, then they couldn't get it back together. I used red loctite and that solved my problem. Again, if you put on the extender tube I don't know what else could be causing your problem.
It's funny that none of the three work, unless there was a missed step in your assembly process.
Tim.

Last edited:

hornet406

The whole cap assembly came in 1 piece so I pressed in into the tube that way. Usually in other kits the transmission has small flared ridges that bite into the cap for a tight fit. Everything here is smooth. I have made other Mesa kits also without this problem.

I am worried that I wont get lasting hold with CA glue on metal pieces. Would epoxy be better? Isn't loctite used for threads? Would it work on smooth surfaces?

Chasper

Assemble the bottom section, refill,spring, transmission, and nib end, then push the end cap on without the turning. If it works there it will work when full assembled.
Gluing the upper part of the transmission into the cap just might work. You could still change the ink supply by twisting off the transmission while it is attached to the cap. cA or epoxy would either work, I would use CA.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I suggest you NOT glue it together. Instead call WoodTurningz at (888) 736-5487 toll free and speak with either Fritz or Ryan. They may have a fix but be assured, they will make it right. I have made dozens of the Mesa and have not had this issue. I have discovered that the tubes supplied with the Mesa kit are not interchangeable with other similar kits. Look closely at the ends of the Mesa tubes and you will see they are very slightly crimped, maybe .001 or .002", which tells me the tubes are sized differently. Just call them and trust they will provide good service and then please let us know the outcome.
WB

Tim'sTurnings

Red Loctite is not only for threads. Many people use it instead of CA because CA has fumes that discolor metals it comes in contact with and also you can dissassemble if you need to. If the top of your transmissions are smooth they may be defective. All of the Gatsbys and Sierras I have assembled have crimped ridges at the end of the transmission. I would take Wood Butcher's advice and talk to your supplier. It may be a quality problem not an assembly problem. Good Luck.
Tim.

Top Bottom