Polyester resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

follow3

Hello everyone,

I am new to the group, but have been reading and learning from you all for a while now. THANKS everyone!!!

I have been having a blast pouring and turning polyester resin.
The articles and directions found here are great.

I was wondering what you all thought about a web site that was devoted entirely to polyester resin pouring. A site that not only had instructions, ideas and reader galleries, but also sold all the needed paraphenilia to pour. Every thing from the resin and hardner to the tints and dyes to the molds and micro mesh all from one convenient site with competitive prices?

Would you visit and buy from a site like this?
Do you think other people, especially newbies would use and buy from a site like this?

In general what do you think of my idea?

Thanks again,
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Steve! Welcome to the IAP! I'm glad reading here has been a positive learning experience for you!

I once asked a similar question in a post, only I asked about forming a special site for penturners. That post was on the Yahoo Penturners Group, it was NOT well received, and this site - the International Association of Penturners - was the result!

So my advice is that if you believe in the need for this new site for pouring resin, then go for it, and make it the best site you can! And if you're lucky you'll find somebody like Jeff Brown, who runs this site, who can make it all a reality! Good Luck to you!

Scott.

kf4knf

I would sugest keeping everyone together on one site. If you have info to add, make addtions to an article and make it even better. I love acrylic and wood so making me go to different sites for each would be a pain. This is the IAP not the IA of Acrylic P. Just a thought [:)]

its_virgil

Maybe we could have a casting forum here on penturners.org What say ye, Jeff?

The price of resins has been rising steadily and the places I buy from have been around for a long time and I'll our penturning use of resin is just a fraction of their business.

You could always advertise to sell resin here (on the IAP) in the classiffieds.

But if you want to start a casting site, I say go for it. I'll be there and contribute and purchase materials if prices are competitive. Don't mind saving a buck or two.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

PS: I purchase all of my resin and supplies online.

Originally posted by kf4knf
<br />I would sugest keeping everyone together on one site. If you have info to add, make addtions to an article and make it even better. I love acrylic and wood so making me go to different sites for each would be a pain. This is the IAP not the IA of Acrylic P. Just a thought [:)]

jtate

I'd be up for purchasing the containers in which the casting is being done. Some long, thin containers slightly bigger than a pen blank - designed like a cornbread stick pan, for instance - would be great. I don't have a band saw so slicing up a slab of material doesn't work for me.

Julia

JimGo

Originally posted by jtate
<br />I'd be up for purchasing the containers in which the casting is being done. Some long, thin containers slightly bigger than a pen blank - designed like a cornbread stick pan, for instance - would be great. I don't have a band saw so slicing up a slab of material doesn't work for me.

Julia

Julia,
check Wal-Mart or Target for ice cube trays like these - mine cost a couple bucks, max, and it's great. The trays are for making ice cubes that go in water bottles. Another option is PVC pipe purchased from Home Depot, or, if you're driving near a construction site, reclaimed from the "scrap" pile.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2551_New%20PR%20Mold%20and%20blanks%20from%20today.jpg
<br />

mick

Jim, those things have gone up! Last I bought I paid like $2.76 for them. Even with that they are well worth the price considering the material saved by casting a round blank and being able to control the length you need. I usually pour mine around 2 and 3/4 inches, just right for half a pen. When pouring some of the more "girlie" colors I'll always pour several long enough for perfume pens. I sell a lot of these and almost all of them are out of our "homebrew" resins. Most of ours are two color swirls, Connie's even poured several color combinations using three colors. Brave woman!!! We've been known to pour a gallon of resin in an afternoon....talk about killing brain cells!!!!!

Tanner

Hi Steve, I would be very interested in learning more about pouring and turning polyester resin. Anthony from Pen Works is like a master at it. Check his stuff out. He has done a real interesting article on it. I'm sure you seen it at the front of the home page.

mick

Julia the bottom snaps off of the ice tray. It's not shown in Jim's picture. Most of the time you can twist the tray anound and wiggle it and most of the blanks will pop loose. For the ones that don't I use a wooden dowel and tap them out with a small hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom