Plating Quality

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, let me thank everyone who is willing to share their experience. As a beginner, I am striving to turn out a quality project and would like to know how to select high quality parts kits.

As an example,we are making perfume pens for several people and I have found these kits available from three venders: vender A charges $3.95, vender B $4.50 and vender C $6.50.

Am I just seeing a pricing preference or is there a difference in quality?

Thanks,

Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Hi Bob. Check out what plating is offered with the kits. 24k is soft and wears off fast. also the cheapest. Platinum, titanium, enamals, rhodium and so on wear much better and last longer, but are more costly depending on what plating is used. I think CSUSA and Arizona silhouette have explanations on their sites about plating. Must reading. If the plating is the same from stores a,b, and c on the same kit, probably just different profit margins. Hope this helps.

JimGo

Gary gave you good advice; the cost is frequently, at least in part, determined by the plating. There are only three main manufacturers of pen and other related kits - Berea, Craft Supplies USA, and Penn State Industries. Craft Supplies USA only sells direct, IIRC. Penn State has several resellers, but check http://www.woodturningz.com and http://www.pocwoodworking.com for good prices on their kits. There are several resellers of Berea kits, too, including http://www.arizonasilhouette.com and http://www.beartoothwoods.com As Gary said, the differences in price between the vendors simply reflects different profit/cost margins (e.g., their cost to have the kits shipped, facilities space, etc.).

What you'll probably find is that the local Woodcraft, Rockler, etc., is reselling Berea and/or PSI kits at a higher price than you can find online; however, if you're only looking to buy one or two kits, the shipping cost can offset the difference in price (assuming you don't have to add in gas cost for going to Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. - you WERE going there anyway, right?).

GBusardo

I have made quite a few of the perfume pens and I don't think the amount of use they will get will warrant a premium price. I haven't gotten a complaint yet on the 24K gold wearing off. Heck, most of the people I gave them to asked "What is it"? [:D]

arioux

Hi,

Perfume pens are 50% of my turning and sale. There is very minor difference between the different manufacturer (mostly about the tip being a little smaller on the Berea one). They all use the same bushing and tubes. I take mine at Berea $3.60 if you buy one but the price drop at $2.50 if you buy 10. I buy them 60 at the time and pay $2.00 each. They sell very well, specially with older woman. Watch for Mother's day coming up, i usually sell 50 and of them just at the office.

Alfred

Edited to add: I never add any problem with the 24k gold etheir in 3 years selling them. And if you want models idea:

2007315234638_DSC0030.jpg
<br />

2007315234656_DSC0031.jpg
<br />

2007315234712_DSC0032.jpg
<br />

jdmyers4

The first few pen kits I bought were upgrade gold FT American. I gave a nice looking one to my friend to try out. He used it every day at work.

After a couple of months he got back to me and said 'Hey, you know that pen you gave me. Well all the gold has worn off. It looks really bad. I guess the pen was just for show, and not something that is meant to be used, huh.' I asked him to send it back to me.

Wow! He was right. Most of the gold had worn off, leaving a very unaatractive dull gray metal showing. It was really ugly. I was very glad I hadn't sold him the pen, and just gave it to him to try out.

I don't buy any more of the softer plated kits anymore, and get all Gold-Titanium, Platinum, Rhodium, or Sterling Silver. I'm not sure how good the Sterling Silver is (Baron Kit). Hopefully it's durable.

If I'm going to sell a pen I want to try to sell the best quality I can provide. I don't want a customer having the experience my friend had with his pen. You're not going to have many return buyers in that case.

randyrathbun

I bought a few of the American Fountains at Woodcraft - the ones with the upgraded Woodcraft gold. Not real impresssed with the plating. After only a few weeks of use the plating is showing signs of wear.

Personally, I have pretty much given up on anything that has gold on it from PSI and Woodcraft. Have not owned enough stuff from CSUSA to really comment on their stuff, but I do always use their plating charts.

That said, I do have a cheap Woodcraft Cigar pen that I made when I first started turning about 6 months ago. The gold on it still looks great with no signs of wear.

But, as jdmeyers said, I am starting to just avoid anything and everything with gold if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom