Plastic Thread Fix?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MaestroAM

Does anyone have a method to repair stripped plastic/delron threads on a pen cap? I have a couple Tycoons that have stripped (keep turning past tight). Is a repair possible without disassembling and changing out the threaded parts (coupler/center band assembly)?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mach4

I did a test awhile back using a "cast in place" strategy for threads. I used some epoxy spread over the threads and inside the cap and pressed them together to set up. Used some silicon grease on the threads as a mold release. Removed the cap when the epoxy was firm but not completely set to ensure it could be removed. Worked well in test mode but have no data for use as a long term permanent fix. Might be worth a try....YMMV

Dale Allen

The problem is getting a glue to stick to the delrin/acetal...or whatever it is.
That plastic is not hard and the movement prevents a permanent fix.

MaestroAM

Thanks for the help. Since the pens are mine, I might try the epoxy experiment on one of them - unless someone has another proven idea....

If not, I suppose I should buy some spare parts to make the replacements should one of my sold pens come back with a problem. Want to make sure I do right by those buying from me.

Dale Allen

Take one apart and see if the plastic thread insert is damaged or maybe it has come loose and is just spinning within the metal collar. I was able to get a vendor to send me some extras so I'd say call around.

Top Bottom