PKMONT kit anger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjudge

Please help me with feedback or advice, before I throw these pen kits into the trash.

Designer European pen kits
PKMONT from Woodturningz / PennstateInd

WHO ... in their right mind ... would make such a longer lower barrel,
and then expect us to press the transmission in that far deep?

==> you end up bending the thin metal walls of the transmission <==

-- joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I do on every slimline I make and I've had no problems with the transmission going in deeper. All of the makers of the 7mm euro/designer european do. It's just how that kit is done. I've never had any problems, although I don't use PSI designer kits.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jjudge
<br />
Please help me with feedback or advice, before I throw these pen kits into the trash.

Designer European pen kits
PKMONT from Woodturningz / PennstateInd

WHO ... in their right mind ... would make such a longer lower barrel,
and then expect us to press the transmission in that far deep?

==&gt; you end up bending the thin metal walls of the transmission &lt;==

-- joe

I have to agree with everyone else---I've made a LOT of these, at least a 100 or so, and have never had issue with the transmission walls bending at all. I've always liked the style, and I, too, will happily accept any extras that Richstick doesn't want!

Dario

I made probably 100 of those too and never had that problem.

What type of press are you using? I am using an arbor press but placed a piece of wood on the end of the ram and the metal piece (ie tranny) eat through it sometimes but it is easily replaceable. Mine is a bit tattered now but it is still the original piece I installed 2 years ago.

gerryr

My guess is that when you milled that end you cut into the tube a bit and created a lip on the inside of the tube. I bought a set of countersinks at HF for about $4.00 and use them to ream every tube before I begin assembly. Either that or you have glue in the tube.

jjudge

I've given up trying to press the transmission that extra amount into the tube.
I'm must cutting the tubes to match the slimline lengths.

Every time I try to get the transmission past its brass part (or that indentation ring), I get smooshed tubes.

However ---- I *will* try chamfering the inner walls of the tube.

thanks for the ideas.

--joe

barrels

Joe,

On all pen prperation I take a round file and clean out the tubes. I[:0] dont put alot of pressure on the file but just enough to clear out the tube.

mrcook4570

In addition to what the others have said (clean out all glue, chamfer brass tube prior to assemble), I also rotate the blank 1/4 turn every little bit as I am pressing in parts. This helps to ensure that the part stays straight. The only way the metal wall of the tranny can bend under normal circumstances is when the force applied to it is not parallel to its long axis (i.e. going in crooked).

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by jjudge
<br />I've given up trying to press the transmission that extra amount into the tube.
I'm must cutting the tubes to match the slimline lengths.

Every time I try to get the transmission past its brass part (or that indentation ring), I get smooshed tubes.

However ---- I *will* try chamfering the inner walls of the tube.

thanks for the ideas.

--joe

That is a most unusual problem. You can get a 45 degree reamer or go to a gun shop and get a cartridge reamer used by reloaders. Very inexpensive and will last forever. Do review all your steps though.

bob winegar

I am not sure from your description what problem you are encountering from the length of the lower tube but:
1. you can use slimline length tubes to make a European-style pen (both barrels)
2. if your transmission end is compressing sideways when you insert it, you can retract the transmission fully so that it supports the end of the transmission. If that doesn't work you might try a chamfer tool to re-expand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom