Penturning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

For me it's because you get to produce something really nice, artistic, more or less to your specification but always with the hidden surprises in the wood, relatively quickly start to finish (try that working for a defense contractor), without some unqualified moron making negative, subjective assessments. You and your relative sense of perfection (and perhaps a customer) are the arbiters. Where else can you get all that? What's not to love? Oh, and I agree with artistwood - you meet great people, some of which are funny as heck (e.g., I laughed until I almost wet my pants looking at the picture of the pre-photoshopped sponge-Bob pen holder in the recent contest)...

Last edited:

Manny

Artistic expression. Stretches the creative thought process. Who here doesn't ask themselves during the course of a day "humm... I wonder how that would look if I turned it?"

Short learning curve to learn super long to master

Gives an easy entry point but once you're in you're in.

Can scale to budgets. Slimline + found wood/pinecones ect = cheap cheap. Scales all the way up to rare woods with limited edition kits. Buy in is relativly low. decent Lathe +tools less than 400 dollars.

Potential to be commercially viable. (Helps sell the better half)

Justifiable simply as a means to create gifts for loved ones.

All people write. almost everyone loves a well made pen.

Multitude of combinations of mediums. no 2 pens are ever exactly the same. Gives your items a unique identity that you relate to.

Finally the people are awesome!

arjudy

Almost instant gratification. a fully functional pen can take an hour or less :) to complete but a bookcase or entertainment center can take weeks.:frown:

bruce119

Something about cutting wood relieves frustrations

But really it's the quick satisfaction of seeing a masterpiece in one or two evenings.

Bruce

I ain't addicted, I can give it up anytime I want......................................
:tongue::wink::tongue::wink::tongue::wink::tongue::wink::tongue::wink::tongue::wink::tongue::tongue::wink::tongue::wink::tongue::wink::tongue:

Woodlvr

SURE you can Chuck-BUT you just never WANT to right?:tongue:
Isn't there a phrase about prying something from "your cold hands before you will give it up"?:eek::biggrin:

bruce119

I'm a recovering woodaholic :confused:

I got addicted last year and it got a little out of control :eek:

I told them (county) it was gold they said it looked like crap. Made me get rid of it all :mad::frown:

I still got some stashed away out of sight :cool::biggrin:

It can bite you :wink:

Top Bottom