Penn press Assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

I could have bought more pen kits and made my own press...[:(]
Well I've got a spare or two, Arbor Press, other Grizzly Press and small press... I like tools...[:I]

200511011447_Arbor%20and%20Pen%20Press.jpg
<br />

G

I had seen that before but misplaced it.
It looks like a nice press to travel with.
I love my customized Grizz press since I made a turret and got rid of teh "steps"

Gregory Huey

I have 2 presses now 1 like PSI sells which Ithink is pretty much a pos and one like WoodWrite sells for $100 plus dollars&gt; Good screw press but needs to be bolted to the work bench. This diy kit would be great for taking to craft shows.

mewell

Originally posted by Chuck C
<br />I found this while surfing and watching football. I don't know if it has been on the forum before.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/pen_assembly_press.html

Chuck - I made the one you saw and ended up re-doing the holes in the board to 1" centers from 1/2" centers. That has solved to problem of the "web" between the holes breaking!

Mark

Fred in NC

I use the Grizzly press. It is the green one at the right in the pic above. I was the original poster in Woodcentral.com when I found it. It was a clearance item. Soon Grizzly sold out all the units.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/archives_turning.pl?read=41637

I mentioned in that post that I had been using a drill stand to assemble pens. For those who don't know, a drill stand is not easy to find anymore. Looks like the base of a drill press, and you put your hand drill on it. I had an old one, from a garage sale. I cut off some of the excess metal on the head, and put it on a base.

After using both the Grizzly and my homebrew contraption, I can say that I like both. Right now my contraption is in the shop, and the Grizzly is inside the house. Nice to be able to assemble pens inside when it gets cold.

Homebrew penpress"
20051104717_penpress.jpg
<br />

Rifleman1776

I use my bench vise for assembly and it works quite well. Only problem is it is at opposite end of 10' bench from where I work and requires me to take a few steps back and forth. I have an old ammunition loading press that I am considering converting for pens. And I was a luck winner of a press in the Birthday Bash. Will report on results with that later. If I do the reloading press thing will report and post post photos of that also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom