Penmill problem - leaving burr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

underdog

I'm having a problem with my pen mill. When I'm milling prepped blanks, I just "kiss" the end of the tube with the mill, and it leaves a burr on the tube. There's evidently too much space between the shaft and the blades which lets that part of the tube remain uncut.

What's the solution?:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I've had a similar problem. The barrel trimmer trims the end of the blank, but it leaves a very thin bur, somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 the thickness of the tube, at the end of the tube.

Because the bur is so thin, you can use a reamer to remove it.

A reamer can be anything - a countersink tool in a handle, a knife blade, even a screwdriver blade.

StephenM

I use a countersink - don't even need a handle just hold it and give it a turn and it will clean it right up.

I was cleaning up the shop the other day and found my grandfather's countersink for a brace. I think I'm going to make a handle for it and use it as a dedicated tool on every blank.

Last edited:

butchf18a

Like many others I too have had that problem. Counter sink works, but I went one step further. I wrote to the manufacturer. I'd like to report they are fixing it, but can't. I never got a reply. I'd encourage others to write expressing dissatisfaction, squeaky wheel gets the grease.

76winger

I keep a small X-Acto knife on hand to trim the tubes of burs as well as glue that gets on the insides of the tubes.

+1 Works great. Just don't cut away too much or you'll get a slip fit for the components (unless you want to do that).

Yep! When the scrapings turn yellow-metallic instead of whitish-clear (glue), you've gone too far.

pianomanpj

The chamfering tool from AS is my go-to tool. I use it even if there is no burr. By chamfering the tube before assembly, you can better align the components and help minimize the risk of cracking your blanks.

underdog

Mike... what is "PR release"?

Hey all... thanks for all the good info. I especially liked the idea of a smaller 3/16" shaft on the mill. That would take care of the problem before it happened. No need for the chamfer tool then...

Last edited:

nava1uni

If you don't trim the blank too much trim the tube you won't get a ridge. I chamfer the inside of a tube to allow easier pressing of the parts, but not because a ridge. Trimming the tube can make the parts the wrong length and then the parts won't fit correctly.

Top Bottom