pen mandrel run out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizical

hey everyone,

so ive run into a problem with my mandrel having runout issues. this is what I use

1) Beall Chuck
2) LMS 60 Degree live center
3) Mandrel from AS

so when i measured the runout it was .003, i was wondering if anyone has had this problem, or what is the norm for it.

Any tips to help fix the problem. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

This is how I do it.....
attachment.jpg

Turn the lathe by hand until you find the high spot, I like to have the high spot AWAY from me so I can tap it BACK to me. Grab the plunger with one hand and push it in and with the other hand lightly tap the mandrel back towards you. I use a small hard rubber hammer. A couple taps is all it takes and I can get it under .001 in about 15 seconds. I also do this with EVERY Pentel Mandrel and Sanding Mill that I make and I swear by it!!!:wink::cool:

Attachments

• ooo.jpg
    ooo.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 390
  • mmm.jpg
    mmm.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 116

Randy_

I think you are going to find that 0.003" is actually pretty good; but there are different ways to make adjustments if you want to try for less.

Keep in mind that these are "WOOD" lathes and are not designed for the same tight toleranced one would expect from a metal lathe.

Paul in OKC

I think you are going to find that 0.003" is actually pretty good; but there are different ways to make adjustments if you want to try for less.

Keep in mind that these are "WOOD" lathes and are not designed for the same tight toleranced one would expect from a metal lathe.

I agree there. Been my thought for some time! That said, I still use the basic tapered mandrel holder. It does not generally run very true on its own on the end, and I don't worry about that. My concern is does it wobble anywhere with the center in the end. I will tap it true when it doesn't.

Top Bottom