pen engraving and decals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mdwilliams999

I have been getting many requests for engraving on the wood turned pens but I do not have the equipment to do engraving. I have looked at local shops but the price is a bit high. Most want a $10 setup fee and approx. $3 per pen. This is a bit high for most requesting the engraving, and I would be reluctant to add anything to this to absorb my time and gas for the running around. I had one wood turner recommend using inkjet clear labels. I tried this but it looked cheap. My guess that a better 100% clear ultra-thin label might work better but not sure where to get these yet. I also looked into buying a small engraver but the prices seem to be extremely high (at $2,000 and up). Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with local engravers, clear decals, or buying/making your own engraving machine. I am pretty handy with anything I need to do.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
There are a few places that do engraving here. Constant (lazerlinez.com) does a good job, Mr Cook does a great job (http://www.mestaridesigns.com/turners). Look under the vendor section and you can find a bunch that do it. You have to ship it but they do a great job engraving. Other than that I have personally tried burning names, didnt work. Thought about the decal, but haven't done it yet. Good luck.

Fibonacci

If you are interested in building an engraver, I built a CNC engraver from a micromill that has served me very well for about $400.

PM if you want more info on it.

G1Pens

+1 for Lazerlinez

I have also seen decals done that look very good. Decal appearance has a lot to do with the finsh the decals are applied to. They work best on a slick surface.

Last edited:
Top Bottom