Pen Blank Sizing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
How big do you need a pen blank to be?

If you are turning Slimlines per the bushing size. You cut your own blanks. Can you cut them 5/8" square? Of course this is assuming that you use sharp drills and can drill a straight hole.

I just picked up a very nice piece of Wenge, 20" long X 3" wide X 7/8" thick. Very nice tight grain pattern, I would guess about 20 lines per inch. I want to get all the blanks I can out of it. I understand that the fatter pens show the grain more and will cut some 3/4" square for fatter pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

daledut

While I prefer 5/8", I have made numerous slimlines using 1/2" square stock. If you have the proper drilling set up there is no problem drilling a straight hole.

1/2" even gives enough thickness to do your own center band and make a slightly larger profile than standard Slimline.

ilikewood

I prefer to keep my blanks as large as possible IF I am going to put them into storage. If I have already made plans for the blanks, such as slimlines, I will go ahead and cut them 5/8. If I don't know what I am going to use them for, I always cut big. I never know if I will need some for gents or cigars, etc.

G

From your description I would cut some on a bias,that would show a lot of the "rays".Your scrap from that will give you some for contrasting center rings color wise but may not have enough"meat" to show much.
The balance I would cut just shy of the 3/4 mark splitting the kerf with your bandsaw so you could get 3 blanks wide out of the 3" width.Possibly 4.
This all depends on the style you turn,and how you cut your blanks.
I have gotten a lot more use out of my bandsaw since I've started turning pens.
Of course the T.S. is getting cobwebs on it.

wayneis

I just one at a time depending on what I am turning. Like someone mentioned also, it depends on how good you are at drilling. The other day, I don't make a habit doing this, I drilled a 5/8" acrylic blank for a Jr. Gentlemens pen. It took me a long time, I had to keep reminding myself to take a breath but I did it without melting the acrylic and it came out fine. By the way, I also did it using the PSI drilling jig, no way without a jig like it or something similar.

So it boils down to 1. what kind of jig do you have. 2. How good you are with it. and 3 What kit you are going to make.

Wayne

tipusnr

I just want to make friends with my bandsaw so I can cut wood into ANY size of blank at all!!! I'm beginning to resent both Anderson's and DELTA for putting this thing on the market.

G

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />I just want to make friends with my bandsaw so I can cut wood into ANY size of blank at all!!! I'm beginning to resent both Anderson's and DELTA for putting this thing on the market.

Try making the bandsaw sled.I have one that rides in my miter slot and riiping is a lot easier than free hand cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom