Pen Blank Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I have a Pen Blank that I got, (dont remember from who) it is labeled RO Burl. I plan to go to the shop in a little while and turn it. My Mom is staying with a sister tonight. I will try to post a pic, if i dont blow it. What could RO Burl possibly be? I hope that I can get it to work. It is big enough for a wall street kit. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

Hey Guys,
Here are the pics of the 2 pens that I turned this afternoon, I was not expecting to get 2 blanks out of the piece of burl. Sorry about the pics being small, been a long time sice i posted any. I am now hooked on burls. These are the first 2 that I have turned.

th_pens-2010011.jpg

th_pens-2010012.jpg

the black spot in the top pen is not a fill in, it is the natural color, I turned them half way down then applied thin CA and turned them to the desired shape then applied another coat of thin Ca and sanded them to 600 grit, then cleaned them with CA accelerator, then applied 8 coats of medium CA. The kits are Wall Street II's. Hope you enjoy them. Keith

GaryMGg

I have a Pen Blank that I got, (dont remember from who) it is labeled RO Burl. I plan to go to the shop in a little while and turn it. My Mom is staying with a sister tonight. I will try to post a pic, if i dont blow it. What could RO Burl possibly be? I hope that I can get it to work. It is big enough for a wall street kit. Thanks

Keith,

Long ago, in a far away land, did you and I trade and you did some worthless wood casting for me in exchange for keeping some of it.
I ask 'cause I did that with someone long ago and some of the wood I'd sent was spalted oak burl. Some was spalted sweet gum and I don't remember what else. But, I've got some of your castings and figure that's likely where they came from. Maybe??!?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Did those happen to come from me? I ysually label mine like that and yes it was Russian Olive burl if it came from me. I know we did some trading at one time so seems likley. great work on those.

I have a blank that was marked "RO" that I got in a blank swap... it doesn't look anything like Keith's pens, but sure made a pretty pen. I haven't taken photos yet, but will post when I get them done later this weekend.

Top Bottom