Pen Blank Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBusardo

Hi Everyone,

I can understand why a spalted maple blank would benefit from stabilization, but birds-eye maple? Craft Supplies, and others, have blanks that are stablized that I cannot see any reason for it. What am I missing? Does it justify the extra 4 bucks? Also, I seen where they have a Carob stablized blank for sale. I have tried to turn that wood and can't seem to keep it on the tube in one piece, will the stablized blank do better?
Thanks
Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I have gotten some non-stabilized carob blanks from CS before and have not experienced any problems with them. Maybe you just got a bad batch or I just got a good batch [:D]

Ron Mc

Gary,
I got my hands on some fantastic Birdseye maple and sent it off to be stabilized because I like the turning, and finishing characteristics of stabilized wood. IMHO stabilized wood has a much nicer finish when completed. Also the stabilized wood is, well...more stable so it is less prone to blow on you.

GBusardo

This is so strange to me, I must have turned 10 Birds eyed maple (non stablized) pens and havent had a problem with any of them. I am sure I am jinxing myself now. Yet cocobola gives me trouble as does carob. Go figure. I sometimes wonder if its the turners technique that lends itself to having better luck with certain woods. Since I have learned to put a real fine edge on my skew, I have done better.
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />This is so strange to me, I must have turned 10 Birds eyed maple (non stablized) pens and havent had a problem with any of them. I am sure I am jinxing myself now. Yet cocobola gives me trouble as does carob. Go figure. I sometimes wonder if its the turners technique that lends itself to having better luck with certain woods. Since I have learned to put a real fine edge on my skew, I have done better.
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Like you say "go figger". The 'eyes' in birdseye maple can pop out with little encouragement. I am having a custom gun built and asked the builder to use birdseye maple. He flat refused because an almost finished stock can start popping eyes and all his work could be for nothing. Coco is nice to turn. You had problems. Again, the personal nature of wood is what we love in the shop. Go figger.

woodbutcher

I turned some birds eye maple pens last night. (slimlines) It is not stabilized. I finished with Mylands FP. They are absolutely beautiful. To this point all seems well. I have had no luck stabilizing at my shop and have tried several combinations. One worked pretty good but smelled awful and God help you if the shavings/ dust got on you. Can any of you recommend someone who does a good job? I too like the way a stabilized product finishes.
Jim [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom