Pelikan Nib Sizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
In my experience, and it is fairly limited, it is unlikely that you will find a major manufacturer's nibs that will fit our pens. When ordering custom nibs I had to provide specs for the feed diameter, length and width of the nib, vent hole positioning on the nib, tipping width, etc. While searching the internet, I found that most manufacturers do not provide this information.

PenWorks

Jim, Pelikan does make a nice writing nib. I carry their line in the store. I have not tried to replace one of their nibs in our pens, since I allready have a replacement nib. They do make a large variety, maybe one of these days I will check it out.

Not to change the subject, but I was browsing the link you posted and found this pen, sure looks pretty close to the new penturners resin from CSU, nothing is sacred anymore.
http://www.cajunpen.com/html/libelle.html

Thanks Guys,

I have been looking at the the Pelican nibs and think that some of the details in it look really eye catching. For my primeium pens I use the Nib that Anthony sells as an upgrade, I have sold 3 so far in the few years I have been using it, I keep one on my user personal pen.

As I recommend Anthony's nibs I am aslo looking for an option like the Pelican, some people like frills more than just plain 14K gold...it's funny how many people want the steel nib becasue it "looks" pretty.

Thanks for the feed back so far[:D]

PenWorks

Jim, on occassion I do stock an 18K gold nib, two tone that works in a Statesmen front section, F or M [:p] NICE [:p]
I do not want to disclose the mfg. as to jeapordise my relations. I can send a photo to those interested, cost is $95.00 I install the nib in the housing, test & clean.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I can share some personal experience that may be of limited to no value. all of this is personal opinion, but so is everything about the fountain pen.

The reason that I suggested Scubaman Rich was because of his specific knowledge of the Pelikan nibs. Back in the days before anyone else was even thinking about upgrading fountain pen nibs, Rich was experimenting with using the available commercial nibs, and I do remember his sharing some experience with the Pelikan nibs.

I have been using the Bexley medium nib in the Baron. It is the same thread that is used on the Baron, American Classic, and several other kits. It is a direct screw-in replacement. You will have to call them for priceing, but it will be less than $100.

The advantage of the Bexley is that is decorated and people do prefer decoration over a plain nib. The Bexley name is held in fairly high regard among those of the pen world, and having their name on the pen is a feature that sells well for me. You can screw it into the pen without having to tear anything apart. It only comes in a medium tip, but that is finer than the kit medium, and it can be customized into almost any width and degree of flexibility. It is a pricey piece of work, but the combination of Bexley AND Mortishaw gets peoples attention, and I would like to have their names associated with a pen if I were persuing that market.

Something you might want to consider. I think the stock plated steel nib in the El Grande is the smoothest writing kit pen available, period. And, it takes an ink no better than the Parker "Quink" that I buy at Office Depot to get there. Adding a 14k or 18k nib to this pen would not improve it's performance, just make it cost more. Yes, this is a personal opinion, but so is everything else about a fountain pen.

The El Grande is a large pen, but it doesn't have to be a heavy weight. It can easilly be brought in at less than 25-grams by shedding most of the metal and closing both ends of the pen. I recently saw a photo of one on the PMG site that was 22-grams. Compare that with a stock Baron that runs in the 45-50 gram range.

Scott

Hi Jim!

What could I add to the great comments above? Wow!

I recently acquired a Pelikan m605 fountain pen, and of course I tore it apart before inking it! [:D] The nib and feed assembly for the 6xx size seems somewhat small for use in even a Jr. Statesman. And it does not appear (I didn't try it) that the threads were the same size. Like Russ says, Rich would know because he has tried using the Pelikan nibs. It would be nice because they are nice nibs, and are readily availble on the market. Remember that Pelikan fountain pens are piston fill pens, which means that the back end of the feed unit is not necessarily set up to accept cartridges or converters.

As Russ also indicated, the Bexley nibs are well thought of, and should be an easy switch out. Bexley's gold nibs are made by Bock, which is who makes Anthony's nibs. Not that all Bock nibs are the same (far from it), but this should give you an idea of how nice they are. I'll also point out that Bexley has stock nibs in other than just medium. I recently acquired a nice Bexley fountain pen with a stock gold stub nib. (It is so sweet!) And Bexley nib/feed units are set up to take cartridges and converters.

Good luck in this!

Scott.

EeyorIs21

Look at what I found[:)]

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

There is lots of information here. Maybe something that will help.

I think these 2 sites also have lots of product(nibs).Richard's Pens actually custom grinds nibs.

http://www.richardspens.com/
http://www.swisherpens.com/index.html

One more for fun to see how made:

http://thesouthernscribe.com/PenArticles/Nibs.htm

I do not have any affiliation to any of these guys. Just wanted to see if I could find something helpful and above is what I came up with.[:D]

bjackman

Jim,
As I'm sure you already know the feed on the Jr statesman is smaller than the statesman.
For the full size pen you will likely need to look at the 1xxx size nibs or maybe.....possibly the 8xx size. I would think the Jr might fall into the range of the 6xx nibs.
Whatever you find, please let us know.

Thanks All,

I will indeed let you know what I find out. I have been off line for a few days, been getting some pre op things in order now that I have a surgery date for my hip, It's been a long summer.

[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom