patriot pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

Just made my 1st Patriot pen. The way that the "clip and the cap" fit terribly. There is a small gap caused by the "mechanism Coupler" per there instructions. Anybody have a "fix" for that?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I've not used the patriot pen, but I think it is the same setup as the Polaris - in which case yes - clip is right against the blank and the coupler holds it in - prevents teh clip from twisting when you twist the finial

ToddMR

Yeah Polaris, Atlas, Gatsby, Patriot, all the same kit. I have done a few of them and never an issue. I normally leave a very tiny gap when pushing the cap on so it doesn't seem to rub against the coupler. Can you maybe take a picture of what you are seeing?

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Yeah Polaris, Atlas, Gatsby, Patriot, all the same kit. I have done a few of them and never an issue. I normally leave a very tiny gap when pushing the cap on so it doesn't seem to rub against the coupler. Can you maybe take a picture of what you are seeing?
I think you may find the Gatsby to be just a bit different.:wink:

sgimbel

Just reread the instructions for the umteenth time and yes the clip goes under the coupler mechanism. Now I'll try to figure out how to take it apart. Hope I don't ruin it. Thanks for the responses.

toddlajoie

If you have a full punch set, unscrew the tip and get the largest one that will fit through the threaded insert. It should knock out the coupler without doing any damage... Not that I've ever done it...:wink:

Be sure to get as close to the inner diameter of the insert as possible, if it's too small, you'll just knock the transmission out... You're going to need to do that too probably, because the coupler should be put in first, but that is easy to do since any smaller punch will work there... (except for the REALLY small ones...)

ToddMR

I think you may find the Gatsby to be just a bit different.:wink:
Sorry Wolf, I am probably thinking of the Carbara or whatever other weird name Rockler sells other than just the Patriot. The gatsby is probably the WS one. I get the names confused sometimes due to how they change them around from place to place and even sometimes the same place LMAO. Silly vendors, stick with 1 name lol.

Last edited:

sefali

Just reread the instructions for the umteenth time and yes the clip goes under the coupler mechanism. Now I'll try to figure out how to take it apart. Hope I don't ruin it. Thanks for the responses.

That's what I figured, having done it myself. Once. Loooong looong ago.:)

Mark

I did that on my very first Polaris. :eek::eek: The reason for my gap and that the clip didn't seem to fit at all...., I totally missed the step/fact that it was to go on the pen (against) the blank before the transmission. Darned thing just wouldn't seat right. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

That was my first clipless Polaris. I decided I like the look and ended up keeping it as a pocket pen. :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Forgot

That's what I figured, having done it myself. Once. Loooong looong ago.:)

Well I had one where I forgot the clip altogether....had to fix it by cutting the hole in the clip to a "C" and using a little CA to keep it in place...you can see it if you look hard enough. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to take the doggone things apart....actually I don't seem to have the brains to be able to get them apart without ruining the barrel.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Me too

I did that on my very first Polaris. :eek::eek: The reason for my gap and that the clip didn't seem to fit at all...., I totally missed the step/fact that it was to go on the pen (against) the blank before the transmission. Darned thing just wouldn't seat right. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

That was my first clipless Polaris. I decided I like the look and ended up keeping it as a pocket pen. :)

I have a couple of them...not all the same style either.

Top Bottom