Parker refill problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TAld

Just turned a PSI-PKSC-Pen (sculpted). I checked the nib to make sure a standard Parker refill would work OK and not bind. Discovered the refill would not go through far enough; however, the refill supplied with the kit worked fine. Found the problem but not what I expected. I know on some the nib end has to be drilled out slightly to stop the binding but not in this case. Looking into the nib (large end) I noticed it had a shoulder approx 3/16" down inside the main body and the Parker refill stopped at that point. Calipers showed the tapered part on the Parker was slightly larger than the kit refill. Used a 15/64" bit and bored it out approx. 1/8". Works fine now. Has anyone else had this problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

An authentic Parker refill (not one of the knock offs) is slightly larger than the parker style refills we get with the kits. I've had to similar fixes to cigar and americana pens but don't really remember whose kits they were. This happens to me with the authentic Parker Gel refills. Also, the spring has an up and down. Often if the spring is upside down the refill will not work. I kown, both ends look the same, but they aren't. Try it.!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by TAld
<br />Just turned a PSI-PKSC-Pen (sculpted). I checked the nib to make sure a standard Parker refill would work OK and not bind. Discovered the refill would not go through far enough; however, the refill supplied with the kit worked fine. Found the problem but not what I expected. I know on some the nib end has to be drilled out slightly to stop the binding but not in this case. Looking into the nib (large end) I noticed it had a shoulder approx 3/16" down inside the main body and the Parker refill stopped at that point. Calipers showed the tapered part on the Parker was slightly larger than the kit refill. Used a 15/64" bit and bored it out approx. 1/8". Works fine now. Has anyone else had this problem?

TAld

Thanks Ed,
Went through all my other PSI stuff and that is the only series (sculpted) that has the nib problem. Although the post was intented to give a heads up to others who might have the same problem. I'm not a big user of PSI products either but a friend saw it in the catalog and wanted all three designs so that's how that happen to me.
Thanks again for the response.

TAld

Thanks Don,
I was aware of the other problems (springs, etc.) thanks to all the good people and their post on this forum but that was a first for me. I still can't figure out why it has that shoulder inside?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom,

I believe the shoulder is to support the spring, according to discussions I have had with Eagle. Be careful how much you modify it, apparently you can weaken the nib.

Also, as usual, Don is correct about top and bottom on these springs. Try turning it around. This will SELDOM SOLVE the problem, but it makes it BETTER sometimes (still needs the drill bit help -IME (in my experience)[:)]

kirkfranks

I have built two of the sculpted kit sets. One went to my brother for a Christmas gift. The other set I still have.

I don't have any "standard" parker refill available to check. I tried one of the refills from a Berea Cigar and Sierra kits and they fit OK along with a refill from a walmart pen[:I]
Is this a "Parker" brand refill that you are having trouble with. I would like to check to see if the one set I still have needs a "fix"

TAld

Kirk,
Yes, it is a "real" Parker refill; i.e., comes in it's on little bubble container and says "Parker" on the barrel. I have purchased these from Office Depot, Staples, and Wally World just to make sure I have refills from different "lots", and ALL of them stopped just short of (1/16 - 1/8") protruding through nib due to the shoulder inside the nib.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom and Kirk,

This is a "known problem" of many of the nibs lately. And, I used to think our sources were to blame. Lately, I have come to believe that Parker recently (within the past couple years) has changed the tolerances. Keep a Parker brand in your shop to test ALL your pens. Few of them work (usually the chromes are pretty good, but not perfect - even "perfect fits" [:D])

[:0][:0][:0]

kirkfranks

Well I bought a "Parker" brand refill today at wally world.
I wanted to make sure about the one Sculpted pen that I do still have. Guess what. It fit fine. I did not use calipers, but the Parker refill and the one that came with the pen kit looked like there was no difference in the diameter of the taper.
I also tried a couple of cigar and siera pens and had no trouble with those either. Makes me think Ed may be right about the tolerance on the Parker vs the tolerance on the kits. Of course when the tolerances stack up in the wrong direction...

I will keep the parker to test new kits now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom