Palm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMisiaszek

I grabbed a small palm log, roughly 8" in diameter, from the grinder-truck. I've seen palm blanks advertised, and I'm wondering if palm blanks must always be stabilized before turning. I'm also wondering if I should crosscut it, cut it on the bias, or lengthwise for the best appearance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

If you look at the survey/polls section..there is a post there about the most difficult wood ever turned.

I think a lot of people said... cross-cut palm [;)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It's not that it "must" be stabilized, but it sure helps! If the log is long enough, cut both straight and cross-grain. Very different and very beautiful results can be obtained from both cuts!

JimGo

If you check my album, there's a picture of a palm Havana pen that I made. It was made with an unstabilized blank. Well, more like two unstabilized blanks. One half of one blank exploded on me at some point, but I can't remember if it while drilling (may have over-tightened my vise, IIRC) or turning.

low_48

I salvaged some palm from our local baseball park. It was basically unuseable. It was more like a corn stalk than wood, nothing like the the red and black palm you can buy. I think species makes the big difference. It may also take a really mature tree to get material that will be hard enough to turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom