Painting Acrylics and preview final result

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

Painting Acrylics. I experimented this method and found to be helpful to preview the final resulting color when choosing the colors to paint different translucent Acrylics. No surprises after painting, gluing, turning and finishing Acrylic blanks. Sorry the photos are not very good and hope the colors can be seen.
The blank A is Acrylic Acetate. I made a pen D with a similar blank ( Painted blank, tube with tinted epoxy - all black) and used the remaining cut-off to make the sleeve B to slide over the 3/8 x 10 inch brass tube. Turned sleeve B without gluing to a tube with bushes and finished to bush size. A little tricky but sharp tools and light cuts helped,
The 10 inch brass tube was painted in different colors. By sliding the sleeve B on the painted tube C and moving over the various colors I am able to see the resultant colors. Because there is no full contact unlike a glued barrel it is a little faint but gives an idea of what to expect.

Attachments

• 1 A.jpg
    1 A.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 777
  • 2 A.jpg
    2 A.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 750
  • 3 A.jpg
    3 A.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 747
  • 4 A.jpg
    4 A.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 740
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

Acrylic Acetate

Stephen If you do not mind can you tell me where did you get the blank used on your pen D.

From Wood Turningz.

Acrylic Acetate #21 - Taffy Swirl

Taffy Swirl has a bright pink base with a whimsical swirl of bright yellow running through it. A turning made with this will definitely stand out! Plus, it's Acrylic Acetate! How cool is that?

Price: $3.00 ea
Item: PBAC21
Qty:

randyrls

Painting Acrylics. I experimented this method and found to be helpful to preview the final resulting color when choosing the colors to paint different translucent Acrylics. No surprises after painting, gluing, turning and finishing Acrylic blanks. Sorry the photos are not very good and hope the colors can be seen.

Stephen; I like that idea. Some time ago I found that the "under coat" can change the entire character of the blank. Both of these pens are the same White Pearlescent blank, one painter Hot Pink, one Light Blue.

Stephen

Thanks for the compliments. BTW this is my first contribution to IAP forum after 3 years. Learning all this time and hope will have another brain wave and be able to share.
Thanks again.

Top Bottom