out of round fixing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

txcwboy

Just turned a nice looking Statesman Jr that the barrel end is out of round by 1/64th of so. Any ideas on fixing it so I can not loose it ?

thanks

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Dave,
I have that problem a lot and it's either my lathe, or my mandrel. One option I've heard, once you've turned the pen, is to put it back on the mandrel and rotate it 90 degrees, several times, while sanding, or skewing it. That makes it much less out of round. As for the problem, a rather inexpensive fix, if you know it's the head or tail stock, is to ream it with a morse taper reamer. I bought one just in case. They're about $30.00 unless you get it on sale. I say rather inexpensive, because it is much cheaper than replacing equipment.

There are probably a thousand people here who know more than I do about penturning, so hopefully you'll get more advise.

Merry Christmas,
Rob

bmchan

This has happened to me but I'm new and not yet that attentive to detail. Wouldn't it help to loosen the mandrel nut and rotate the blanks 180 degrees and give it a final light pass? Probably crude but worth a try.

txcwboy

I was thinking of building the area up with CA glue.Then resanding it down.This is the first one I have had that was really bad. I think its due to the bushing needing replacement. I have new ones in the mail

Dave

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
More often than not, the out of roundness is from differences in the wood grain. Remember that the grain is flat on 2 sides and on edge on 2 sides on a straight grained piece of wood; and that the flat grain sands away faster than that on the edge. This difference will give the sanded wood an oval shape. Wood cut at different angles, and burl can also have large differences in the grain and that affects the rate it is removed with sandpaper.

The solution is sharp tools and practice so you will have less wood to remove with sanding and can start sanding at a finer grit.

Meanwhile, stop the lathe and sand the high spots.

txcwboy

Well Russfield Ive been making pens 15 yrs so I think I got a lil practice in.[:D] I havent had one "out of round" that I knew of in a long time, hence the reason for posting. I dont believe it was a grain issue, the other end was perfect.
thanks
Dave

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Dave - Non-concentricity of 1/64" is huge. Trying to fix it after the fact is probably going to be more difficult than correcting the problem and starting over.

I can't see how you would have a flat sided bushing without all of your pens being non-concentric. It seems to me that either you have 1) a headstock-tailstock misalignment that has occurred recently, 2) your tailstock was over tightened causing your mandrel to bow, 3) you over tightened your knurl nut again causing your mandrel to bow, 4) your blanks were not squared and thus when pressed together caused the mandrel to bow, 5) your bushings were so worn down that they were loose in the tubes allowing the mandrel to be misaligned inside the tube, 6) your tools are dull causing you to press too hard against the wood and this bows your mandrel, or the desity of the wood varied enough that you sanded the barrels out of concentricity. Clean up those six issues and you will probably solve the problem. Taking a non-concentric barrel and building it up with CA is a bit like putting lipstick on a pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom