One at a time...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickTaylor

How many of you turn your barrels one at a time instead of putting both on the mandrel? I've replaced the mandrel but still I often get unacceptable wobble (slight, but enough to bother me) in the bushings between the barrels. No, the nut is not too tight, either.

On my most recent statesman (see SOYP) I wanted a PERFECT fit with no chance for disappointment, so I turned the barrels one at a time (shorter span = less vibration) and it went great. I think I may do all my pens that way now.

Do you seasoned turners do single or double mounts? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I have switched to one by one on anything other than slimlines. My pens are 95% better than the were and it really doesn't take much longer. I can switch out blanks in less than 30 seconds.

GK

I turn all single with the 60 degree dead center in the head stock and 60 degree live in the tail stock. This sure tells the bushings that are now as accurate as they could be. Been turning this way for over a year and real happy. Slims and Euro's I have to turn on a mandrel, but still single

Texatdurango

I'm not "seasoned" but have turned enough pens to have figured out a few things by now, so...

Like many, I fought the oval shaped ends then switched over to the Beall chuck and doing one barrel at a time. In my opinion, there is no comparison in the quality of my barrels.

I take it one step farther and use a dead center similar to the one displayed on the home page. I turn the blank down to the bushings, I remove the blank and place it between the dead centers where I sand it, use digital calipers to compare to actual pen parts, apply CA then sand down to match pen parts. This method produces far superior fitting pens, at least for me.

You can use anything to make the dead center, I turned down the hexagon shaped handle to an Exacto knife!

George

PatrickTaylor

Originally posted by Texatdurango
...compare to actual pen parts, apply CA then sand down to match pen parts. This method produces far superior fitting pens, at least for me.

So you sand smaller than the actual pen parts then build up finish for an exact match?

I really like this idea.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by PatrickTaylor
...So you sand smaller than the actual pen parts then build up finish for an exact match?

I really like this idea.
That is correct! No more guessing or turning to the bushings then assemblying the pen, only to find that the clip is a hair larger than the pen.

Another benefit is not getting tiny metal particles mixed in with the wood ends when sanding.

tdibiasio

For those that are turning one barrel at a time are you sanding and finishing one barrel at a time also, or are you just turning down the shape one at a time and then assemblying both onto a mandral for finishing. Seems like if you did the sanding and finishing one at a time it would take MUCH more time to complete a pen.

PatrickTaylor

Another benefit is not getting tiny metal particles mixed in with the wood ends when sanding.
Or hosing up the finish at the ends when you have to unglue the bushing from the barrel and the bushing takes some CA from the barrel with it when removed. [:(]

Texatdurango

Originally posted by tdibiasio
<br />For those that are turning one barrel at a time are you sanding and finishing one barrel at a time also, or are you just turning down the shape one at a time and then assemblying both onto a mandral for finishing. Seems like if you did the sanding and finishing one at a time it would take MUCH more time to complete a pen.
I'm not a "production" turner so seldom make more than one pen at a time. I usually turn both barrels, change over to my dead center, sand them then finish all at once.

It may take 12.643 seconds longer to swap out chucks but I'm in no hurry. In this case I think speed must be compromised for quality. Of course, I don't plan on convincing Joe Blow who cranks out 10 pens an hour![:D]

alamocdc

<br />For those that are turning one barrel at a time are you sanding and finishing one barrel at a time also, or are you just turning down the shape one at a time and then assemblying both onto a mandral for finishing. Seems like if you did the sanding and finishing one at a time it would take MUCH more time to complete a pen.

I have two standard mandrels (one of each size) and I will usually throw the pair on one of these for sanding and finishing.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
<br />
I'm not a "production" turner so seldom make more than one pen at a time. I usually turn both barrels, change over to my dead center, sand them then finish all at once.

It may take 12.643 seconds longer to swap out chucks but I'm in no hurry. In this case I think speed must be compromised for quality. Of course, I don't plan on convincing Joe Blow who cranks out 10 pens an hour![:D]

<b>I resemble that remark, George!!!</b>

However, I now do all "fancier pens" (bigger than a baron) in the "one-half-at-a-time" method. But I do FINISH the half before moving on to the second half. Most of the time, mine are resin, so the problem is minimized. I am now believing that pens that sell for over $100 are worth an extra degree of effort to achieve a "most nearly perfect" result.

So, you KINDA converted ME.[:D][:D][:D]

PatrickTaylor

Originally posted by ed4copies
I am now believing that pens that sell for over $100 are worth an extra degree of effort to achieve a "most nearly perfect" result.

I agree, and that was my thought when I decided to try it the other way, since this is for a friend's wedding.

BTW, I did finish the first barrel completely before going to the second.

toolcrazy

I am still doing 2 barrels at a time, but as some of you have found the poor quality of some of the mandrels where causing problems. I bought some of the mandrel replacements from a member here and what a difference. They run dead true. I'm going to try this for a while, but still may go to single barrel, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom