Nova Chuck Info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I would like opinions on the Nova Compac chuck @ $99.00 Cdn and the Nova Precision Midi @ 139.95 cdn.. The Compac has been discontinued and replaced with the Midi but they claim parts will be available for the compac. Both these chucks are designed for use on mini lathes. $99.00 on the Compac is a sale price and I would like to know if the Precision Midi would be worth the extra $40.00
I am getting tired of fooling around with cheaper chucks with all the shortcomings associated with them. .
W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

It's my opinion to skip the Nova and go to Oneway. The Talon is one beautiful chuck. Check the inside of the jaws, Talon has 5 gripping rings, cheap Nova has 1. Never seen anything come out of a Talon or Stronghold, can't say the same for Nova. Doesn't the cheap Nova come with 2 rods for tightening? Makes you wish for 3 hands when you are loading a bowl.

Rich

pssmith

William,

Just bought the Precision Midi from KMS Tools (best price I could find on Internet). I'vw heard stories about the Nova Compac coming apart while turning which may be why a redesign was in order. Not certain of it, but I spent the extra so that I could use all jaw accessories with it without a pricey adaptor and not get hit in the head with a chuck[:D]. In fact, I just ordered the 25mm jaw set from KMS for smaller piece work. May want to check them out.

I think if your tired of spending money on chucks or think you'll turn on a bigger machine later, perhaps going with the Oneway is a good thing. I'm pleased with the Midi and have no problems with things coming loss aside from the dimwitted catches I create.

Good Luck.

William Young

Thanks Patrick; Yes, KMS is where I was ckecking and that is where the clearance price is on the Nova Compac. Think I'll go for the precision midi after hearing your advice. I wont be going up to a larger lathe at all. I am just having way too much fun with this one.
I know the oneway would be just great but it is out of my price range and I have owned a nova in the past when I had my full size POS lathe and getting around the two rod tightning/loosening was just a little practice thing for me by holding the piece on with one hand and snugging it up with the other and then tightening with the rods.
What are you using the 25mm jaws for and how much extra was it? I just went to their sie and it is down. Says they have exceededed their bandwith.;-(
W.Y.

Scottydont

Most of the postings about the new Nova precision midi aren't good. The overwelming comment was "dissapointed". I can't give any recommendations on any other though.

M

Mudder

I have the compac chuck and I would nor recommend it. It is cheaper but travel is limited to 3/4" or slightly more. the standard nova jaws wil not fir without an adapter and once you find and buy the adapter you are almost at the price of a regular Nova.

my 2¢

woodspinner

I use my Vic 5 1/2 chuck on all my machines. It works fine on a Jet 1014vs all the way to the Oneway 2436. It does look kind of strange on the Jet because of it's size.

Good turning and be safe
Bill

BarryK

I bought the compac from KMS, and returned it within a week - the jaws would NOT line up. I exchanged it for the Nova chuck - I have had a few peices pop out, but mainly due to bad tool control on my part - a few surprise catches with a bowl gouge, because I wanst paying attention.

I have read good things about the Vicmarc, with the only warning being that they sometimes come un-screwed off the spindle...something about the Aussie threading?

I'd like a Vicmarc, but they are a bit pricey for me.

William Young

Thanks for all the help here. I also had the question posted elsewhere and I made a decision. I spent a lot more than I had planned on but I ordered a Oneway Talon scroll chuck. It should serve my purposes after investigating many other makes and models.
W.Y.

woodspinner

The only way a Vic comes unscrewed is if you do not set it tight against the spindle and run it backwards. In 9 years I have never had one come off.

Good turning and be safe
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom