Nibs for casings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexhead

I making an attempt at making a shell casing pen. A 30/30 seems like the best fit for the nib ( may be wrong word, the cone end) on the outside but it loose on the inside (even with a brass tube. I can turn down the nib and use a smaller casing but then I loose the gold. Thoughts.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

clthayer

I havn't tried a 30-30 yet, seems a little shorter than the .308 which is what I use.

I glue an insert into the casing, usually pine or basswood with a slimline tube in it. Turn it down till it fits snug and use gorilla glue.

Just how I do it.

Christian

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Are you referring to the brass tube being loose on the inside if the casing? If so, you can wrap the end of the tube with Teflon tape to make it fit better in the casing, then glue the tube into the casing with gorilla glue.

Several fixes are available and you can find some by doing a search including the archives. You can always turn a wood core to fit (Eagle's idea), I do some like that but I use primarily 30-06 which fit the SL w/ long tubes & GG. The wooden core almost guarantees a centered tube inside the casings.

KenV

If you use a 30 cal bullet and drill it out for the refill and spring, your fit is natural. Search the archives for drill sizes for both cross and parker refills. I am using Barnes brass bullets instead of those with guilding and lead.

gerryr

Both 308 and 30-06 are the perfect diameter for slimline nibs. You do have to put a tube inside the casing. With the 308, the tube is about 1/16" longer than the casing and with the 30-06, it's shorter. You can buy 10" lengths of tubing from PSI or AZ Silhouette. I tried teflon tap for a while and then switched to heat shrink tubing at KnottyHarry's advice. I like the heat shrink tubing better. I think the size I use is 1/4", but you would be better off to take a tube in somewhere that sells the stuff and get some that is just barely large enough to fit over the tube. After you shrink it, it won't move at all.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The beauty of using a wood core is I can turn one for any caliber.
I just got a 7 pen order for 338 winchesters with Wart hog top.(the customer supplies the Wart hog tusks).
The clincher for the sale is I can make a pen that takes a Parker refill using a different kit.
I am not limited to slim lines and cross refills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom