Newbie needs help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

It has been brought to my attention that my pens are 'out of round'. I know what that means but how to I find the problem?

Check and make sure your mandrel is a good fit for the tubes and bushings you're using, check if the mandrel is bent, use a lighter touch with your tools, sharpen your tools, all kinds of stuff can be done. It's one of those problems that has many possible sources.

randywa

If you look in the Library Index there is a good article about out of round that may help. I'm not sure how to copy the link to here. Hope it helps.

jttheclockman

Many things can cause out of round pens and may I suggest you do a search for such topic because it could get quite lengthy when talking about all the possibilities. If you still do not find something that will help then come back and tell us what you checked and we will go from there. This is not a snub at your question. This question was actually talked about a couple days ago so you have a few posts to go back to right here in this forum. Good luck.

Please don't have abunch of the turn between centers people jump in here again. Let the person try to solve this problem.

Chances are that you may need a new live center on your tailstock or your tailstock isn't lining up with the head stock. If you know that your mandrel is straight put it in your headstock and see how it lines up with the tailstock. If it lines up you probably need a 60 degree live center. I had the same problem and it was the live center.

Cincinnati

I just posted this question about a week ago. This is what I learned from my research.

Mandrels bend easily. This can be caused by many factors including but not limited to over tightening the retaining nut, over tightening the tailstock, too much tool pressure, and foreign material in the taper. I am following the experts advice of turning between centers. Check out this link:

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2010/turningbetweencenters.pdf

Top Bottom