New pen ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MuddyWater

I have been kicking around ideas for a pen which has railroad theme. So, I was wondering what ideas the forum might turn up. I was thinking about making it out of a piece of railroad tie, or you could engrave it with some railroad theme or scene. The pen does not need to reflect a specific railroad or incorporate a logo from a railroad. But when someone picks it up, I want them to think of railroads. So, let the ideas flow.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would not turn a railroad tie. they soak them in creosote (coal tar) I'm told the real bad for your lungs. I wanted a piece of a local pier for a piece of history and they wouldn't even give it to me.

Laurie

M

monkeynutz

Perhaps an inlay of the black/white RXR sign?? Or maybe a custom finial with same??

redfishsc

I would not turn a railroad tie. they soak them in creosote (coal tar) I'm told the real bad for your lungs. I wanted a piece of a local pier for a piece of history and they wouldn't even give it to me.

Laurie

True about the creosote, but if you wear a good mask (especially an organic respirator) you'll be fine.

But I dunno if you'd be able to seal the pen up enough to keep it from stinking to high heaven!

MuddyWater

I had thought of that

I have a crazy idea for a RR pen. A pen that plays locomotive sounds when you press down to write with it. I'm wondering how we can do this ........

I had actually thought of something like that. I was thinking of having a locomotive sound when you write with the pen, or you could use the clip as a on/off switch. I had also thought of making the final with a light in it, so it resembled a locomotive headlamp.

My main concern with using the railroad tie was all of the cresote, and I was wondering if you coated them with CA if you would be able to cover up the smell and mess. I have a railroad tie, so I might have to experiment with it a little this weekend.

woodtreker

Kegs, Tobacco Sticks, and Barn Wood

Being from KY I have a great resource for tobacco sticks. barn wood and even bourbon kegs... Most all of them are oak so no big deal as to the "type" of wood but I am trying to get my hands on some hickory tobacco sticks... The tough thing is that the older tobacco sticks are mostly "split" sticks that follow the grain and basicly have no flat sides at all... AND hard as a rock... I have not done any tobacco sticks yet and have just cut out the first blanks... I will keep you posted... I have doen several barn wood pens adn they have sold well..

I am think of using a small torch to "age" the pens to look more like the old sticks... Any ideas???

Turned for good, if you went with 'z' scale track, and a large pen such as a gent or Majestic, it just might fit--'n' scale is just a bit too large. ('n' scale/large--isn't that an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp"?)

Turned for good, if you went with 'z' scale track, and a large pen such as a gent or Majestic, it just might fit--'n' scale is just a bit too large. ('n' scale/large--isn't that an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp"?)

Been a few years since I played around with the train stuff. Must have gotten the letter backwards.

The rail as a clip idea is a good one too.

Top Bottom