New lathe primarily for pens, razors etc. but maybe bigger stuff - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I've been using a cue smith lately. Designed for pool cues but works great for pens. I think it was about 700$. I'll try and ask my friend for the link.
There are a bunch of good recommendations here too.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

@Catski1
Old 01-05-2017, 02:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catski1 View Post
I've been using a cue smith lately. Designed for pool cues but works great for pens. I think it was about 700$. I'll try and ask my friend for the link.

@Catski1

Hello Felix. Where have you been??? Good to see you jumping in. I am intrigued about your use of a CueSmith lathe Those are over $1000 a lathe and designed for accuracy in making pool cues. If you are talking $700 Cue Smith lathe that is a light weight wrapping lathe and not a turners lathe. Love to see your lathe if you can post a photo. I too like pool and always wanted an inlay machine. If you have any connections for a used one in good condition send me a PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Jet is also doing a 15% discount starting from today until Jan 9th.
Kloss is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'll reiterate what everyone else has said on the Jet 1221-vs. I have one I bought brand new in the box for under $325, if you're patient enough, a deal will fall in your lap eventually.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Quote:

@Catski1

Hello Felix. Where have you been??? Good to see you jumping in. I am intrigued about your use of a CueSmith lathe Those are over $1000 a lathe and designed for accuracy in making pool cues. If you are talking $700 Cue Smith lathe that is a light weight wrapping lathe and not a turners lathe. Love to see your lathe if you can post a photo. I too like pool and always wanted an inlay machine. If you have any connections for a used one in good condition send me a PM.
I am a cue repair guy and dabble a little in cue making, I too also have a couple Taig based cue lathes, although mine are from Mid America and not from Chris Hightower. That $700 finishing lathe from Chris could easily be used for turning by adding a carriage and cross slide, but then you're easily up over 1K in cost too.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbmw20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Quote:

@Catski1

I am a cue repair guy and dabble a little in cue making, I too also have a couple Taig based cue lathes, although mine are from Mid America and not from Chris Hightower. That $700 finishing lathe from Chris could easily be used for turning by adding a carriage and cross slide, but then you're easily up over 1K in cost too.

Yeah. I talked to my friend. He's invested much more than 700$ into it. He's makes cue repairs and at first had a shorter lathe. But he's using a bigger full sized for one piece cue size now. I'll try and take a few pics next time I get over there. It does make me want to turn a pen from the Ivorine and Phenolic/Micarta rods used for the ferrules and joint protectors. Or break/jump cue tips. I have wanted to make a pen from those for awhile. I think Atlas had the Ivorine that looks like ivory veins.

@Catski1
Old 01-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

LOL, I know his pain, trust me. I have TWO cue lathes and one Jet wood lathe. Of my cue lathes, I have in excess of $2500+ invested in EACH of them and that's about mid scale price wise on these cue lathes nowadays. Here's a pic of one of mine.....

Old 01-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Default Lathe

I also like my Delta 46-460 lathe.
Barnmb7117 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

My 1226vs has been a work horse. Love it for pen turning. I mounted it on a industrial sewing machine stand. Very sturdy.
Attached Thumbnails
20160525_183030_resized.jpg  
LOIBLB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Those cue lathes are truely an investment and you have to make and sell cues to afford those things. Add the inlay attachment and there is some huge $$$$. Love to get an inlay machine though. Could do so much with pens. I am going to try going about it in a different direction some day, Being I cast
Logged on members can hide ads