New Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeScroller

Carba-Tec 4SE 1/4HP Variable Speed Mini Lathe - well. I gotta surprise Saturday to find that I got a present from the family...a lathe. I have been looking at the Rikon at WoodCraft and others like at HarborFreight. Knowing that I have so little space in the garage/shop, they decided on this for me. It's neat but will I be happy with it? I only wanna do pens, stoppers and small items as for it's usage. What do you folks think about this mini-Lathe? Nice gesture though by the family!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SonOfMartin

I have it and it's my favorite lathe. DOn't let others sway you about it being MT1. You can find lots of tools that fit MT1 and the headstock thread (check Penn State Industries).

I have to admit it's small, but I like that it's smooth, sturdy, and has never ever failed me.

THe first thing I'd recommend buying is other tool rest (longer / shorter). That's the only thing I didn't like was the short rest. I like being able to work on both halves of a pen without having to move the rest.

JoeScroller

Yes! That's exactly as I felt when I saw it and tried it the first time yesterday. I fully agree with you about the tool rests though and wanna take care of that ASAP. Thanks so much for the reply!!!!
BTW, I took a couple of white pine scraps and made a bottle stopper outa one piece and a small candle stick with the other.. what fun! They gave me the PSI HSS chisels for the mini also. Had to get used to the smaller cutting surface too! How 'bout you regarding the chisels that you use?
TY,:bulgy-eyes:
Joe

SonOfMartin

I have Benjamin's Best that Penn State sells. I received some as a gift from my family and have built up my selection of tools from the same manufacturer. I've used other brands but for the money, I can't complain about Benjamin's Best.

You're not a long drive from Pen State - go check out their store.

If you're ever in the Hershey area, contact me via PM and I'll show you my humble tool shed / garage and give you some beginner pointers.

You'll probably be needing to sharpen up what you have. I use this - better hurry and order it - they're no longer selling it in their current catalog. It's $13 and works just fantastic!

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCM5N.html

JoeScroller

Thanks again for the reply and the invite...the same invite goes for you should you happen to visit our fair city of Allentown!
The info you shared again is helpful and I did order the sharpening device you linked for me.
BTW, I did visit the PSI store just recently and enjoyed talking with Jeff and John.
Thanks again,
Joe

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Good choice

I think it is a good lathe for pens. I believe I'm going to get one myself. It's been around a long time, it was actually about the first mini designed with pen turning in mind. And, i don't think there is an attachment needed for pen turning that isn't available in MT1.

Top Bottom