New guy w/X-cut ???s

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

Hey all[:eek:)]!

Besides being new to pen turning I am fairly much just as new to woodworking having been a metal worker most of my life. My question is concerning using X-cut blanks. Does an X-cut section compromise the strength/integrity of blank/finished pen[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

First, welcome to the insanity, er, group, Gregory! Secondly, to your question. Actually, it depends. Under normal woodworking conditions, i.e. flatwork, the answer would be an unequivocal yes. However, since our pens use brass tubes for stability and support xcutting isn't usually an issue and makes for a very nice looking pen. I xcut different varieties all the time that I would normally never dare. On the other hand, if you are doing a wild mod w/o a tube, you might want to rethink the xcut, or choose a wood that is dense and stable enough to withstand the task at hand.

alamocdc

I didn't say they weren't trickier to turn. [:D] Catches can be an issue. Make sure your tools are sharp and take lighter cuts than normal. You'll get the feel for what the wood will allow and each species is different. Just based on my experience thus far.

cozee

Duh! I forgot about the insert. Green as green can be I am![^]

Thanks for rattling the brain!!! Now I am off to think up another question that has been and will continue to be asked over and over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom