Need help with a click mechanism

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzy

Hi,

I have a stratus pen with a mechanism is causing me some headache.

Depending on how I hold the pen it will either click or not click at all.
If I hold the pen in horizontal position with the clip on top it will click just fine.
If I hold it with the clip toward me it won't unclick at all and if I hold it with the clip away from me (or on top) then it will click again.

Anyone knows what's causing this? Is there a way to repair it?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Sorry, I don't know. I have heard of problems with the vertex click with a plastic piece breaking. And from what I understand, the stratus uses the same mechanism. It's too bad because I really like the looks of the stratus. I just don't want the problems.

steamshovel

I have the same kinds of problems you are having, may have to start drinking again to get this solved. It is the click pens kits bought at woodcraft. I click on the pen and maybe it will go out, click again and maybe it will retract. I unscrew the barrel and it will pop. Some pens work fine and others don't. When I'm done with this bunch, NO MORE. I thought it was the turned length so was careful and I still had the problem.
Maybe we can get something figured out.

Preston

Sylvanite

On some pens, installing the spring backwards can cause this issue. Try reversing the spring. A constriction in the nosecone can also impede operation. Try chasing the nosecone with a #38 drill bit.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Look at an unassembled kit...see if the plastic sleeve that holds the click assembly is tight in the cap....some click assemblies if for any reason the sleeve rotates when you push the click the click won't work. If that is the case a spot of loktite on the sleeve will fix the problem.

ken ledger

I am well behind this thread as i have only just made these pens myself. As you can guess i am having problems myself only mine does not click at ALL. I have four of these pens and tried all permutations of parts assembled.
The problem seems to be the nylon tube that is pre installed into the clip end, as it has to be a tight fit in the clip it has closed down internally.
There is not a thing you can do for this as there are guides inside this nylon tube, these allow the refill to be out for writing.
At this precise moment i am waiting to hear form my suppler

As with Steamshoval this will be the first and last of these kits

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am well behind this thread as i have only just made these pens myself. As you can guess i am having problems myself only mine does not click at ALL. I have four of these pens and tried all permutations of parts assembled.
The problem seems to be the nylon tube that is pre installed into the clip end, as it has to be a tight fit in the clip it has closed down internally.
There is not a thing you can do for this as there are guides inside this nylon tube, these allow the refill to be out for writing.
At this precise moment i am waiting to hear form my suppler

As with Steamshoval this will be the first and last of these kits
A spot of loctite or glue on the side of the nylon sleeve will probably fix the problem. When you operate the click the sleeve is probably turning when just the inside of the mechanism should turn the sleeve must remain stationary.

ken ledger

The sleeve is firmly attached to the clip part of the pen.
I experimented on the refill as well, putting it into the drill and using wet-n-dry to ease the plastic end so that it was free and not dragging in the sleeve.

kenlholley

I have made at least 40 of the Stratus and almost the same amount of Vertex kits. All were purchased from Wood Turningz. The only problem that I have encountered is the shorter clip being broken off by the customer. I have yet to have a clicker mechanism problem with either style. Guess I've been really lucky.
I'll keep making them because my customers love the smooth click.

Top Bottom