NEED HELP Baron group buy pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtate

So I bought my first Baron kits in the group buy but I've never turned a Baron before so I don't have the instructions sheet. I don't know what size bushings to use or whether it's a standard mandrel type kit.

And, if I do a closed end pen, how deep do I drill the hole for the body?

Can someone help?
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The instruction sheet, and the bushings as well, are available from Arizona Silhouette. He also has a closed-end mandrel available, or you can use a home-made pin chuck. The depths you want are 2 1/8" for the tube, and 2 7/8" clearance for rollerball refill/fountain pen. I suggest 8mm clearance hole for the fountain pen, otherwise your convertor may empty itself prematurely.

karlkuehn

Banned
I would definitely recommend the closed end mandrel from Bill. When I got mine, he had a special going where if you bought two (or something like that - I bought the Churchill one, too), you get Ed D's 'How to make a closed end pen' DVD, which was really great to watch, not only to learn the closed end stuff, but also just to see somebody else work on a lathe. I learned a lot just watching Ed, although he does some crazy stuff in there that I don't have the cajones to try myself (i.e., "Just use your hand to steady the piece as it turns...").

He also sends along a great little printed addendum to the video with all the measurements you need for drill depths for all the mandrels that AS carries. :) The machining is great on these mandrels, and they make closed ends much easier.

I think all of the pen kits have online instruction sheets, I just google stuff like 'Baron pen kit instruction sheet' and usually come up with something useful right away. It's best to get the sheets from where you bought a particular kit, though.

Top Bottom