Need custom pen advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would like to make a nice custom pen for a Doctor who has been a great help to myself and my family. I would like this to be a complete surprise and I would appreciate any advise.

I would like to make a pen style which is high end and which most women would like and use. I certainly don't mind spending a bit of money.... she's been a great Doc!

I would like to make it out of a nice unique would blank. A species which most women would appreciate.

Any ideas from experience would be appreciated. I don't have "barry gross skills I am just an average pen turner.

Thank you for any help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I have the very same thing at the engraver as I type. I used a dyed stabilized box elder burl blank dyed in the university medical center colors. Contacted the University for permission to engrave the university medical center logo. That was my plan, you may choose differently. I used a ti gold jr. retro. More of a manly pen maybe but that is my story.

mrcook4570

Any of the Jr series pens are nice. Most women like purpleheart and pink ivory, although pink ivory can have cracking issues. Bright and colorful acrylics are also appealing to women.

But, you said she was a doctor, so how about bloodwood :eek:

CaptG

I have found that the ladies love the Majestic Jr. because of the Swarovski crystal. They love crystal and they all know the Swarovski name. Wrap it in B.O.W. with the certification card and they will know it is special wood, and it is a great looking wood also. I have sold these to lady Dr.'s, lawyer's, and recently a lady judge. They all love that pen. Just my 2 cents worth.

rherrell

I have made ALOT of pens for doctors and the main thing to consider is WHERE it will be used. A desk pen can be capped but if he plans on keeping it in his pocket then a "click" pen is best, NOT a "twist" pen. They need to be able to operate it with one hand. My doctor LOVES the click Sierras with the rollerball refills which last him about a week. Doctors do ALOT of writing.:wink:

mickr

My experience different..not all women like pink & purple...this thread is sounding a tad sexist...I've had women buy jet black , bright red, segmented..you name it...what I have found to be true tho is unless they have arthritis, they do not like cigars, or statesmen, etc..other than that, they are all over the map on color

workinforwood

I have not found any woman that like the JR series from CSUSA. They all tell me it's too big...uh, the pen that is. I'd go for a Baron kit if I want something fancy for them to use at the home office. If they are going to be at work all the time, I'd go with a long click from Lau Lau woodworks. Like Rick says...they need a one handed pen on the job. If you're thinking about the medical clip for the euro pens...I don't find many doctors care for that. It's bulky and gets caught on the jacket.

Rick_G

Like Rick says if it's going to be used at work, a click pen for sure. I just did one for my wife's surgeon and my wife chose lacewood. Also be sure and get the Dr's name engraved in it. They tend to develop legs otherwise.

Rifleman1776

Coincidence you ask. My son and daughter-in-law, both doctors, recently treated my wife and I to a beautiful vacation in Hawaii. While there I bought a box of Koa wood, which included a couple highly figured pieces. As a thank-you, I am making them each a desk set. The stand will be of an Asian/Polynesian design (which I designed), will have their name laser engraved on the front and will hold a full-sized Gentleman made from the curly wood. These are for desk use, not pocket carry. For carry purposes, I would never give a lady a big ole Gent. But on a desk it will (hopefully) ooze status and luxury.
If you do not like the big Gent, a Jr. Gent or one of the Statesmen will do fine also.

jkeithrussell

I agree with Jeff. Every woman I have spoken to about pens has told me they like small, narrow pens. Slimline, Euro, Sierra. If you are looking for something flashier, maybe a Sedona that is turned bushing to bushing. In my experience, though, people don't carry the capped pens -- they use them at a desk. So, if you want a female doctor to use your pen on a daily basis, I would recommend the Long Click Pen or a shortened Sierra click.

As for the wood -- Rosewood burl, Amboyna burl, maybe snazz it up with some crushed turquoise if you have a crack or void to fill.

leehljp

Member Liaison
A great surprise will be two pens - one a very nice twist, capped or desk, the other a "click" for daily one-handed use.

I was talking to a childhood friend this past week who is an attorney. I was sure he would love a fountain pen, but in the conversation he said he uses a fountain pen once a year at the most, but he does like FPs. For him, practicality is as important as status. :wink:

DurocShark

If there's any way to find out what color(s) she likes, a dyed burl may be the way to go. Or even an acrylic/PR/Alumilite.

tdibiasio

I have to say that since I have added the Neopean to my list of pens for sale - the women who buy from me seem to like these the best. I often dress them in acrylic and dyed box elder burl. Another interesting thing - I recently added the Elegant Sierra thinking the ladies would like the center band accent more, but I have consitantly got the response that it is boxy and more manly then the regular sierra. I would go for a brushed nickle sierra with an acrylic blank or double dyed BEB.

sbell111

I have not found any woman that like the JR series from CSUSA. They all tell me it's too big...uh, the pen that is. I'd go for a Baron kit if I want something fancy for them to use at the home office. If they are going to be at work all the time, I'd go with a long click from Lau Lau woodworks. Like Rick says...they need a one handed pen on the job. If you're thinking about the medical clip for the euro pens...I don't find many doctors care for that. It's bulky and gets caught on the jacket.
Aren't the Jr Gent and the Baron virtually the same size?

mrcook4570

Aren't the Jr Gent and the Baron virtually the same size?

Not entirely. The Jr v1's were exactly the same except for a slight taper at the endcap. The jr v2's are slightly larger in diameter, but their grip sections are the same size as those on the baron. Still, they are close enough in size that very few people have ever noticed the difference.

sbell111

Not entirely. The Jr v1's were exactly the same except for a slight taper at the endcap. The jr v2's are slightly larger in diameter, but their grip sections are the same size as those on the baron. Still, they are close enough in size that very few people have ever noticed the difference.
I guess I'll put you down as a 'yes, they are virtually the same size.'

Top Bottom