Nautical kit questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

I would like to ask opinions on 2 things regarding this kit/blank.
First, I ordered a blue box elder blank but it is a darker blue than in the catalog.
Do you think it is too dark for this kit.
Second, I turned the blank to just proud of the fittings. Mine is at .528" and the bushing call out is .495". I looked at several examples and I like the look of the blank larger than .495" which would set it smaller then the fittings.
Does this size look OK?
I still need to do a better job of preping the blank. There are a few small voids that I want to fill and clean up the ends a bit.
Thanks for your help.

Dale

Attachments

• nautical1.jpg
    nautical1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 371
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Actually, I think the colors in the blank are a very good match for the pewter hardware.
As for size, I think it looks right as you have it. Great looking pen !!! Thanks for posting ... I want to try a nautical or two and it is good to see the work of others.

Dale Allen

Thanks Mal. I appreciate the feedback.

I was reading a post by someone who had trouble with assembling this kit.
They said they glued the upper section onto the inner assembly that advances the ink. If I read that correctly, the only way they will get it apart to change the refill will be to unscrew the twist mech from the lower internal section.
That is one of 2 ways to take it apart. The other is to pull the upper section(and blank) off of the internal section. What I found is that the blank could be almost a quarter inch shorter and it will still work. The lower tube end pivots on the hardware and the upper section is pressed into the tube, and then slides onto the twist mech. It slides very tight but that is better then loose.
That is the one thing I never cared for on this type of kit in that the end of the blank is always rubbing on the hardware when twisted.

BSea

I like the color with the kit. But it doesn't look like the finial is pressed in yet, but maybe i'm looking at it wrong. The fit on the nib end looks good.

Dale Allen

Thanks again all for the comments.
Bob, I can see where the image would be a bit confusing. I didn't explain the picture very well. It was getting late and I forgot to go into more detail. My bad.:redface:
The only end that gets pressed in is the top so I was able to show the lower end up against the hardware.
It is actually not a great fit either because I can move the blank side to side slightly.
I may put a thin layer of CA inside the tube to see if it fits better. But I'll let it dry before I assemble!:smile-big:

SSGMEADER

Great color combo...personally I've turned a few and I like to turn to a little less than .495 you can see the difference on these the cherry is turned proud the others not so much.

Attachments

• nauticalgrp2fin.jpg
    nauticalgrp2fin.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 102

Dale Allen

Nice pens Adrian, I particularly like the blue one.
I am puzzled though by your comment. The second from the left looks to be proud of the hardware but the rest seem to be even with the raised band on the lower hardware section. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture. I measured the hardware at .525-.527 and .495(the recommended bushing size) would be noticeably smaller.

flyitfast

Rather than a glue to hold the finial in, maybe try Loctite blue. It should keep it in OK and still be able to remove if necessary. Also, if you use CA it can have an effect on the metal if it gets on the outside.
By the way, I like the blank/Kit combination. The blue looks like water and it looks like there are little fish, or something, in the voids!!
gordon

Last edited:

Dale Allen

Thanks for your comments Gordon, however, you misunderstand! I would be putting a thin layer of CA inside the brass tube end to make it tighter to the hardware when it is turned to extend the ink. Not as a glue but a way to make the ID smaller.

Dale Allen

Well, I finished it and I like it but not as much as I had hoped to.:confused:
Maybe I'll order another kit and the turquoise blank this time.

Attachments

• nautical2.jpg
    nautical2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 96

magpens

Very beautiful result !!! ... it has a nice nautical air about it .. :biggrin::):):) !!

79spitfire

I understand your statement, but remember the artist is his own worst critic.

I think the color combo is awesome! It makes me want to run out and get a dyed box elder blank!

Top Bottom