My 2 cents as it regards nothing.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

There has been it seems alot of posting and replying today of a sort of "self examining" nature: "Are we pen makers or turners", "How can we make ourselves more creative", etc.... etc.... There was one post, I can't find it now, that said something about preferring something handmade to something stamped out by the millions from a big machine and it reminded me of something. I'm a Star Trek geek. Not a trekkie just an "informed fan" and I remember years ago in one of the tech manuals or "encyclopedias" on Trek there was a quote that in a roundabout way sums up my thoughts on handmade vs mass produced.

One of the series producers on The Next Generation was asked "with all the technology in the 24th century, particularly the ability to replicate things, even complex things, why do they still build star ships a piece at a time by hand?"

His reply:

"If we could produce an entire starship at the push of a button...... would we really NEED to?"

All that said, I pose this question: If we had the technology to produce millions of pens at the push of a button..... do we REALLY need to?

Comment or don't, this was mostly my brain being random.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
There is the technology to produce millions of pens at the push of a button... Just ask Bic. :)

But that NEED is another question... I don't make pens because I NEED to.. I make pens because I enjoy it :)

terryf

I think mass producing of pens is done for two reasons:

1. Most people can't or don't want to make their own.
2. Economics - it makes money and we need pens

For those that want hand made pens, its usually because they want something that stands out or they want something specific that they cant find mass produced.

As has been mentioned, most of us do it because we enjoy it.

Call me a penmaker, penturner, kit constructor/assembler - it makes no difference to me as long as I'm enjoying it!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Need?

In my opinion 90% of what we have including 75% of what we THINK we need. We really don't need. Lots of things we "need" weren't even invented yet 20 years ago and almost nothing (other than food and clothing) we "need" existed 100 years ago. If all the cellphones in the world stopped working tomorrow it would not keep the sun from coming up the next day.

OKLAHOMAN

According to my 20 year old granddaughter, not only would the sun not come up but the earth would stop spinning. The damed thing is permanently attached to her hand.:frown:

If all the cellphones in the world stopped working tomorrow it would not keep the sun from coming up the next day.

PTownSubbie

According to my 20 year old granddaughter, not only would the sun not come up but the earth would stop spinning. The damed thing is permanently attached to her hand.:frown:

If all the cellphones in the world stopped working tomorrow it would not keep the sun from coming up the next day.

That's the difference of how the world has changed.....I wouldn't want to see what would happen if cell phones and the internet were to stop working.....Want to talk about National Emergency!!!:eek:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Trust me - we'd survive

We would survive. That we are adaptable and resilient is proved by those very "indespensible" things like modern cell phones that didn't exist even 5 years ago and now are spoken of as if the world would end without them. Trust me - if humanity got along without it for 5 or 10 thousand years and has only had it for 20 we could get along without it again. We would adapt to not having them just as we adapted to having them. Do you realize this whole continent was settled without GPS.

snyiper

Do you realize that most under 30 have never been with out a Microwave? Most probably dont know what a poloriod camera was about or The hottest new thing for cars the 8 track!!

ctubbs

Do you remember "watching the radio no Saturday night as the Shadow" made his apperance? OUCH!:redface: There goes that old thing again!:wink::biggrin::biggrin::)
Charles

toddlajoie

Whatever pens could be made by the millions with the push of a button would be worth the $0.35 that the plastic ones cost today. If you could make a pen out of what we think of as the coolest burl scrap cast in acrylic with a shiny durable finish just as easy and just as cheaply, it would be looked at the same way we look at the plastic mass produced pens of today. And at the same time, someone would come up with something cooler made of something else, that has to be made one at a time by hand, and someone would value it enough to buy it for a premium price.

terryf

Do you realize that most under 30 have never been with out a Microwave? Most probably dont know what a poloriod camera was about or The hottest new thing for cars the 8 track!!

The nicest thing about the 8 track was the fact that it was almost impossible to lose them and they could be used for self defence in an emergency :biggrin:

and dont forget vinyl LP's!!

arw01

Hey, those are making a comeback. The album art, the inserts, and the NO AUTOTUNE recording on them.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
You guys probably still remember when Beta was cool, and a big screen consisted of a 19 inch floor model tv that was in a 1000lb. cabinet:eek:.

ldb2000

EmersonMA

There's a lot to be said about modern technology, I, and I imagine most if not all of us use that technology every day, I just like the satisfaction of creating something that isn't store bought, manufactured, or mass produced. Pens, Pencils, furniture, nick-knacks, or junk, It's unique in its own fashion, may resemble other creations but it's mine none-the-less, and if someone likes it, wants it, buys it or given as a gift, if they use and don't just toss it to the side or throw it way than I'm even more so satisfied.
One last thought, I don't have anything against mass produced, pens as a matter of fact I'm rather thankful, they make our pens unique.

Rfturner

Being 20 I enjoy some of the old things. I remember waiting to listen to Adventures in Odessey (came on a christian radio station). T.V. shows that weren't in color...leave to beaver, also shows like knight rider, and bonaza. 38's, 45's, and 8 track used to be big. Most in my generation could not tell you what those things are. I am afraid that most people my age might say that north is straight up if asked to point N.

One of the few good things about mass production is that it produces things much cheaper. although I would not mind the cash flow from a company like bic even for just 1 hour.:biggrin:

darrin1200

One of the series producers on The Next Generation was asked "with all the technology in the 24th century, particularly the ability to replicate things, even complex things, why do they still build star ships a piece at a time by hand?"

His reply:

"If we could produce an entire starship at the push of a button...... would we really NEED to?"

All that said, I pose this question: If we had the technology to produce millions of pens at the push of a button..... do we REALLY need to?

Comment or don't, this was mostly my brain being random.

I to am a StarTrek fan (just a fan). However, I interpret this quote a little different.

If you have the technologie to instantly produce a starship at the push of one button, then your technology is such that you probably have no need for a starship.

I am not sure I have seen a pen in the "Star Trek" universe.The technologie is such that a pen is not required.
They use voice recording.
Computer converts it to digital words.
Screens are used to read (not paper)
Sometimes an electronic object (stylus) is used for computer input.

So.
Can they produce a pen in an instant? (Yes).
Is there a requirement for a pen? (No)
Is there an need for a pen? (No)

That said, there is probably someone who wants a pen. Perhaps they enjoy the art of writing.
As has been mentioned earlier, the way they get the pen has changed, not the desire for the writing instrument and an instantly produced writing instrument will satisfy there desire.

However, there will be those that want more that just the pen. They want the care and individuality that goes into creating the pen.

As for what constitutes creating/making a pen, thats a whole different thread.

So this brings me to the end of my muse.
I carry one of my pens (or a handmade pen I have been given) in my pocket all the time. I also still have 2 or 3 $1.59 mass produced pens kicking around my desk at the office. I use both, because they both write. Personally though I prefer writing with the handmade pen. It gives me a good feeling, knowing that and individuals care and skill went into producing it. I put together my pens the way I do because I enjoy doing it and occasionally I find someone else that enjoys using them.

In conclusion, if I could get a pen at the push of a button would I? No, because I believe technology would be such that I wouldn't need to. Would I still carry around the handmade pen in my pocket? Yes, because I like the feeling I get when I use it.

Thanks for reading.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
It the sun didn't come up...I would turn on the lights...
But if the Internet stopped working and I couldn't read new posts on IAP...!!!!!!.....

THAT...woud NOT be a good thing ;(

That's the difference of how the world has changed.....I wouldn't want to see what would happen if cell phones and the internet were to stop working.....Want to talk about National Emergency!!!:eek:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Still the same

You know if you walked into my house 30 years ago the only thing you wouldn't see is my computer and my wifes computer. We had TV, we had a Stereo (used 33 rpm disk records but sounded as good as the one I have now) Our stove was about the same, the refrigerator was nearly the same we had a dishwasher and we had a washer and dryer.

Our sofa and chairs were the same, our bed was a king size just like it is now. We did have a microwave but it wasn't mounted over the range it was on a shelf we had built for it in our kitchen cabinets.

We did not have (or need) whole house air conditioning but our bed room had AC. Our heating system was different but that was by choice, could have had almost the same as we have now.

The only thing that is much different is telephone and computer technology...by the way we did have our first computer 29 years ago.... ordered it in October 1980 and got it in February 1981. Nothing like todays though...there you see the great technology advances.

We had cars, not too different. still basic internal combustion engine, today's don't hold quite as many passengers,

We flew in airplanes and air travel was considerably easier and probably faster.

Communications is about the only really big difference...and much of that has been for the worse. People can now steal from you without even needing to steel your credit card. Terrorists have great communications for plotting terror and avoiding capture. We have to practically get strip searched to board an airplane. We can get bombarded with endless phone calls and emails. And in return we get to do a few things on the internet that make life a little more convenient.

Last edited:
Top Bottom