Multi ply color blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I got mine Saturday. They look nice, but feel light and soft, not like Dymondwood. I'll see how they are when I turn one.

Attachments

• spectraply01.jpg
    spectraply01.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 183
  • spectraply02.jpg
    spectraply02.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 154

jttheclockman

I got mine Saturday. They look nice, but feel light and soft, not like Dymondwood. I'll see how they are when I turn one.

You obviously never worked with it before from your comments. It will give the pen a lighter feel then. Nothing at all wrong with this material. I have worked both but hard to find these days. A deal that could not be passed up. Show us a comparison when you have a pen made up. :)

jttheclockman

Thanks. I thought you guys had a secret source. I wanted in.:):):) The big difference with that material was the layers were coated in resin as opposed to this material being glued colored plywood.

KenV

The Spectraply folks do sell a higher end resin loaded product called DymaLux.

Spectraply does go through the cactus juice just fine if desired.

eharri446

Just went and looked at the DymaLux that they sell. A 3/4" x 10" x 41" panel is $123.00. If you cut that into 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" blanks you would get around 100 blanks from that one panel. That being the case, the cost per blank would be $1.23 which is cheaper than it sells for at WoodCraft.

KenV

Probably more managable is to get the 3/4 by 41 inch rods and cut to fit tube lengths as needed. Very little waste and a rod will make 8-12 pens depending on the style. One camo rod will make a bunch of bolt actions for $20 and shipping.

Reactions: RKB

jttheclockman

Just went and looked at the DymaLux that they sell. A 3/4" x 10" x 41" panel is $123.00. If you cut that into 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" blanks you would get around 100 blanks from that one panel. That being the case, the cost per blank would be $1.23 which is cheaper than it sells for at WoodCraft.

All one color. The spectraply is 1/3 that price. For pens it is not worth that to me. I use the dymondwood for my watch bands for desk watches. Alot has to do with what you are making with the material.

Top Bottom