Moving shop -- dust collection advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulSF

Up til now I've been turning pens in the back of my picture framing store, with no dust collection setup. I'm closing the store this week, so I'm moving all my penturning stuff into the spare room in my apartment. It's wall to wall carpet, and I really don't want it to become too messy.

So, I need to figure out dust collection. I have the big Delta AP400 that I've got hooked up to the double miter saw. The saw is going into storage for now. I could bring the delta home, but it is rather noise. OK, freakishly noisy. Are there quieter and relatively inexpensive systems that would be better for my needs? The only thing I'll be using it for is my penturning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

I would not do as you plan.

For one thing, what will be your liability for damage to not just the carpet, but to the entire apartment. Dust collection is one thing, but what about all the debris from turning?

Second thing ... What about the noise pollution you will be creating. I'm sure the neighbors will not mind the noise and vibration of the lathe. YEA, right!

Third ... I seriously doubt that the owners would allow such an operation in their rental unit. Best re-read your rental contract ... several times!

I used a small DC, but enclosed it into a closet of its own with lots of noise baffeling. A vent is needed, but that can be on any side and needn't be very large, I just used an a/c vent. By the way, if you are on a budget and don't want to spend the $$ on accoustic tiling, then those eggshell-crate mattress pads do a good job, is cheap, and doesn't give you the irritation that you get from using fiberglass insulation, which is another good sound-dampener. The only sound that escapes is a very quiet, minor hum that is almost unnoticeable.

By the way, this will only get the fines, the larger pieces need a stronger method.

fernhills

Band saws are not that noisy. You can get them fairly accurate and follow through with some hand work to get-er-done, on some flat work. Some furniture makers only use a band saw. At any rate the BS will come to be very handy making pens.

ldb2000

They sell a sticky backed plastic sheet that is used to protect carpeted floors during construction and moving . I'm not sure what it's called but I would think it would be a good idea to help protect the carpeting . It would also help with clean up . When it becomes too beat up you can just peel it off and apply new .
As I showed in the penmakers challenge , if you have a collet or scroll chuck you can make entire pens using just your lathe , including cutting the (already pen blank sized) blanks to size , end trimming and drilling .

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
bag it

I have seen (for a shop smith) a clear plastic tent that enclosed the entire operation -- it didn't look all that expensive and it did keep the dust under control. I think cleanup was with a shop vac.

PaulSF

I can put a tarp down, something I've considered. I also have a shop vac. I'm in the middle of my first closed-end pen, i'd hate to have to give this up right now!

phillywood

I would not do as you plan.

For one thing, what will be your liability for damage to not just the carpet, but to the entire apartment. Dust collection is one thing, but what about all the debris from turning?

Second thing ... What about the noise pollution you will be creating. I'm sure the neighbors will not mind the noise and vibration of the lathe. YEA, right!

Third ... I seriously doubt that the owners would allow such an operation in their rental unit. Best re-read your rental contract ... several times!

I do agree, your desire is unrealistic and you can get yourself in a legal battle should they find out what you are up to. what are you going to do with the chemicals and all the other stuff and supposed that you want to turn a stabilized blank, what are you going to do with the strong chemical smells? I would say that rethink your options and re-evaluate.

PenMan1

In my area, mini storage facilities with electricity are available for very cheap rent. Since you have to store your dc, et al anyway, why not just pay a little more for one with electricity?

This could be a really cheap shop solution. I did this while we built the new house. Other than having to exhaust a few k1 heater fumes in the winter, it was a great dedicated shop - cheap!

Grizz

Banned
I'd say that if you are moving your shop, definitely do not take the dust with you. :tongue:

PaulSF

LOL Grizz!

My penturning is really basic. I'm not stabilizing blanks, or mixing my own polyresins. I just want to know if there's an inexpensive, compact, and relatively quiet dust collector that will make cleanup a little easier for me. I'm going to be turning one pen a week, at most, not running a Montblanc manufacturing operation.

Fred

Either way ... one pen or hundreds ... your rental agreement and/or local building codes, local fire codes may not allow you to have such an operation in the apartment and you very easily could stand to be evicted. Check with the landlord first and get their blessing (in writing) and the make a few pens him/her and for the neighbors nearest to your operation. A little sugar goes a long way!

Be safe and be sure first!

phillywood

Paul, I thought about your qsn., the only other answer is that to make a stand on the wheels, and stroll it down to the patio and make your pens in the patio, but you still want to let them know abut your intentions. I started my woodworking in my patio in an apartment in Houston in early 80's. I made a storage in one corner and had my tools stored in it. but let my landlord know. I was even running table saw and router and other tools, but they knew about it. they didn't even object to my hobby. But you live in 21Th Century and lots of things have changed.
You asked for opinion and that my $.2 Cents in the bucket. you do what's best for you.

Aredee

just an idea

Something you may want to look into is the local storage facility. Some of them allow you to use the space for a small work shop. Depending on the size of the area it may not be to expensive. A couple of guys I work with, have a automotive shop set up this way for their hobbies. Just a thought.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If your using a small lathe for pens only you could use a small shop vac with the collector right up against your work This will collect a lot of but not all of your material coming off the lathe. I use a 1gal mini vac with my small lathe. Use a respirator or face shield or both. YOu could even lay cheap carpet if you can find a remnant or left overs over your exiting carpet, vacume as you go and toss it out when you move out. How much material are you really going to produce off 1 blank? How much is really fine dust and how much is larger shavings. There are lots of ways to cover and protect the floor. YOu can build something behind and to the sides to trap stuff going in that direction. I know they make a portable cloth collection for chop saws you might make something like that.

PMisiaszek

At my Florida shop, I don't have a bandsaw. This past winter, I purchased a Japanese hand "razor saw." It cost me roughly $35. It cuts blanks like a hot knife through butter and is very quiet. Here in PA, where I do have a band saw, I've ordered another one. I like the control and convenience of having the saw right at my turning station.

Last edited:

nava1uni

I made a small box that fits onto the back of my lathe and it catches almost of of the dust. I use a Rigid shop vac and a small cyclone which catches all of the dust and large particles. It isn't very noisy at all. I think that he apartment is not such a big deal here in the city, but you might read your rental agreement.
Call if you want to check out my system.

DurocShark

The guy I got my TCPro from worked on his patio. Aside from being a bit cold in Denver in the winter, he liked it. But he couldn't get the hang of it, hence me buying his stuff for a song.

DurocShark

Oh, and a box fan with a furnace filter on it can go a long way toward getting the finer dust out of the air. Use the shopvac for the big stuff, and the box fan for fine stuff and aside from noise, nobody'll know a thing.

glycerine

I picked up this little guy from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...do?itemid=94029&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

Small, portable... not TOO loud. I think it may do fine in an apartment. Most of the time apartment walls are nice and "sound proof" anyway, so your neighbors probably won't even hear it. If you get something like this though, I'd definitely grab a pre-seperator of some kind as well. It will make cleanup alot easier, and you won't have to dump as often either...
I'm also with Fred and Phillip though in making sure you don't get yourself into trouble!

Top Bottom