milling jr gent 2?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

underdog

I recently got an order for a Jr Gentleman II fountain pen, so I ordered the hardware, the bushings and the drill bits...

When I got to the milling part, I realized I couldn't mill it with the standard mill...

What do you guys do to get the ends squared up? Should I make a couple of sleeves for both sizes of tube?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
You can either make a set of sleeves which is very easy to do or you can buy them from someone like JohnnyCNC or others that make them.

lorbay

cwolfs69

i use the new style barrel trimmers found at woodcraft. there is an mandrel for each pen size that we make. you just put it on the cutter and go. it will also take out any excecc glue, epoxy etc in the barrel since it has a cutting point. i now have aboun 10 different sizes. no more adapters.

underdog

Thank you all for your help. I did have to turn some sleeves to mill the ends. Since I'm such a scavenger... I had some delrin locator pins laying around from where our KOMO CNC router chewed them up. The new sleeves worked well...
Since then I ordered a Whiteside milling set and a mandrel saver...:rolleyes: We'll see if that improves my fit and finish.

This kit turned out fairly well, even though I couldn't get the bushings and bodies to turn concentrically, and put way too much glue finish on. (about .015-.020" thick!) What I finally did was return one at a time instead of both at the same time. I turned them undersize and then added finish until they were just a tad bigger than the bushings, then sanded them level, and used that EEE creme to polish them off. I don't think it leaves as good a polish as the micromesh, but it certainly doesn't take as long...

I'll try to post pix later on today...

underdog

Well here are the results.

Sorry the pix are so dark. I took them under the office florescent lights, and then corrected with Irfanview.

Attachments

• Jr GentII_3.jpg
    Jr GentII_3.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Jr GentII_4.jpg
    Jr GentII_4.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Jr GentII_5.jpg
    Jr GentII_5.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Jr GentII_8.jpg
    Jr GentII_8.jpg