Mandrel Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Maker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert Taylor

i have mandrels from all three of your choices. i do not use a #2mt mandrel as i turn on a shopsmith. my favorite and the one i use the most is the pennstate. the other two are straight shaft mandrels that are used in a drill chuck. they work well without any problems and are used when i demo or use other peoples lathes.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Simple analysis:

1)PSI - $17.95
2) Berea by Woodcraft = $22.95
3) AS = $27.75

Yes, I have both of the top two and I cannot tell a difference.

wickford

I have all of these mandrels and they all seem the same to me. I use them in a collet chuck. Woodcraft also has a "replacement" mandrel shaft for the mandrel you list and I think it runs about 3 bucks. So I got one of those for my collet chuck...very glad I found them on the rack!! Saved me 20 bucks!

its_virgil

Those of us who make our own do.:biggrin: I use the Beall collet chuck to hold my mandrel and make my own from letter D drill rod. Tapping the end for the brass nut is easy and making the 60 degree dimple in the end for the live center is easy. If you have a local source for drill rod and don't have to pay shipping then a 3 ft piece of drill rod makes several mandrels.

Otherwise, I've use mandrels from most all suppliers including some you did not list and they are all pretty much the same quality as far as I can tell.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Who makes the highest quality mandrel available?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hank,

I don't see a way to make any of those adjustable - am I missing something?

Sure. The "precision shafts" fit in a Beall or other collet chuck. AND as a side note, I had (still have) one of the "high precision shafts" for $5.50 with the stop ferrel on it - well - the "stop" ferrel came loose. Therefore, On a collet, it is adjustable. :biggrin:

Besides, any of the "shafts" are adjustable on the MT2 systems he linked to (as long as it is "A" to "A" and "B" to "B".

Last edited:

Randy_

I can comment on quality as I only have Berea mandrels......oh, I do have a couple from Joe Collazo; but he is not making them any more.

There is another consideration beside cost. The Berea is about 0.004" larger than the PSI mandrel. That means if you ever use Berea kits and bushings on PSI mandrels, the bushings might be a little loose. With the exception of one kit, all of the PSI bushings I have fit the Berea mandrel just fine. One set of PSI bushings was a little snug so I polished the hole with some 600 grit sandpaper and they were just fine.

jskeen

One thing to note, both the psi and woodcraft/berea adjustable mandrels use two large open ended wrenches to loosen the collet and adjust the length of the mandrel shaft. This would seem to be the most accurate method as it applies pressure to the collet from all sides as the outer nut is tightened. It is however a PITA to locate both wrenches, get it loose, adjust it, and tighten. The AS unit uses an allen screw to tighten the collet, which would seem to be much more convenient, but I wonder if that comes at a price in the form of runnout on the mandrel.

I don't know the answer, as I have almost totally abandoned mandrel turning in favor of between centers, but would be interested if anybody out there has one of each type of mandrel and a dial indicator and would be willing to measure and post the results.

The mandel that I purchased from Berea several years ago came with a drill driver to hold the rod. This works very well. Unfortunately Berea has discontinued the drill driver.

Sorry the the above was posted before I continued.

If I was going to purchase a new mandrel system, I would buy a Morse Taper collet (1/4") from Little Machine Shop for $8.95 and then add several rods from Woodcraft for about $3.00 each.

This gives you the ability to turn several pens and let them sit after finishing without removing from the mandrel.

I also find it helpful to check runout on each mandrel every time I turn a pen.

With a dial indicator mounted on a wood post that replaces the tool rest this takes a few seconds.

Larry

SteveB

Ha Bob in Ohio I turn on a Shopsmith as well, does the Pennstate mandrel come with the arbor that you install on the shopsmith shaft as I find that installing the straight shaft mandrels in the shopsmith drill collert allows for some movement side to side

its_virgil

I do.:biggrin: And you can too. Letter D drill rod costs about $9 for a 36 inch piece made in the USA. You already have the brass nuts. Cut them to the length you need, thread the end for the brass nut and use a center drill to put the 60 degree dimple for the live center. WahLah...you have a mandrel that is just as good(if not better) as any available. I have mandrels from all suppliers and they are pretty much the same...IMHO. The center drills are available from Harbor Freight...a pkg of 5 diameters for about $6. Tap and die for the brass nut is about $7.95. Of curse, you need a way to hold it. I use the Beall Collet chuck but other systems can also work.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Who makes the highest quality mandrel available?
/quote]

Top Bottom