mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AnachitlPut

i just got a new lathe and it doesn't fit my old #2 mandrel. so i need to get a #1 but i don't know if it is wroth getting the perfesstional one or the normal mandrel.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Moved your thread from the advanced to pen turning forum. It should get more views here.

If you point to the mandrels you are looking at, you may get more valid answers. The big thing I would suggest is a mandrel that you can shorten the length on.

wiset1

i just got a new lathe and it doesn't fit my old #2 mandrel. so i need to get a #1 but i don't know if it is wroth getting the perfesstional one or the normal mandrel.

I bought the basic $13 MT1 mandrel with a mandrel saver a little over a year ago and it's still treating me well. The simple cheap one will work fine

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Is it possible for you to take the lathe back and get a 2MT lathe. Far more people are happier with the 2 MT, if for no other reason than the fact that there are more options available.

wiset1

Is it possible for you to take the lathe back and get a 2MT lathe. Far more people are happier with the 2 MT, if for no other reason than the fact that there are more options available.

So true...wish I knew what a MT was when I first bought mine...I would have gone with the MT2, but here I am with a MT1. It's not the end of the world to have a MT1...you just need to buy stuff for a MT1 that's all. I will however be getting a MT2 for my next lathe and have to buy all new MT2 stuff. Oh well

randyrls

wiset1

I will however be getting a MT2 for my next lathe and have to buy all new MT2 stuff. Oh well

Tim; You can get an adapter that will convert a larger MT2 taper headstock to use an MT1 mandrel or other MT taper items. This is one example of what such a thing looks like. Note that you have to restrain any mt taper with the tail stock.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1193&category=

Oh yeah, I know it's out there...I just want a larger lathe so I can start doing bowls and other cool things. Been looking to upgrade to a VS JET lathe...I hear good things :biggrin:

AnachitlPut

oh i wanted a jet so bad but i just can't afford one right now. no i can't take the lathe back i got it from a friend and its a old psi. thank you for the info on the adapter i just might do that seeing it would save me alot of money.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Adapters are not expensive and you only need one or two. Then buy MT2 accessories. Some day, when you get your next lathe, it will be a MT2 and everything will fit. Meanwhile the adapters will make the whole situation controlled.

Top Bottom