make purpleheart and bloodwood darker?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

simpleman

VERY new to penmaking. I've made less than 10 pens so far:eek:. I made one out of purpleheart and one out of bloodwood. The purpleheart blank started out bright purple but after I built it and put hutt wax (?) and some yellow micropolish liquid (its in the basement right now...)on it and now it looks brown. The bloodwood didn't look very red to begin with (I was hoping it would after working it for a while). This pen also looks brownish. Both pens are assembled and ready to mail out to family as gifts. They look nice but not the pop I was looking for. Am I stuck with this color or is there something I can do? I read somewhere that UV or direct sunlight can help. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

PS. Is there a beginners forum?

Bowl-basher

Try leaving the Purple heart for a couple of days after you finish sanding and before you put any form of seal on IE.. wax, CA or any finish as this timber will oxydise
and turn to that nice deep purple
Regards
Bowl-Basher

witz1976

VERY new to penmaking. I've made less than 10 pens so far:eek:. I made one out of purpleheart and one out of bloodwood. The purpleheart blank started out bright purple but after I built it and put hutt wax (?) and some yellow micropolish liquid (its in the basement right now...)on it and now it looks brown. The bloodwood didn't look very red to begin with (I was hoping it would after working it for a while). This pen also looks brownish. Both pens are assembled and ready to mail out to family as gifts. They look nice but not the pop I was looking for. Am I stuck with this color or is there something I can do? I read somewhere that UV or direct sunlight can help. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

PS. Is there a beginners forum?

First off, welcome to the madness!!

You have purpleheart is known to oxidize to the brown color....stick it out in the bright sunshine for a day and it might bring it back to the purple color as it is UV sensitive. However because you are using wax & a micropolish it could also have developed a "patina" so perhaps you may have to strip it down good with acetone and refinish it. A lot of use prefer CA as a finish, however there is lacquers and other finishes that could work (check out this site for finishes: http://www.woodturner-russ.com/FinishingSecrets.html)

As for the bloodwood, this wood can come in various tones of reds and tend to stay that color or deepen, so because you said this too is brown I would again refer to the finish you used and the "patina" it developed.

I am sure you will find other suggestions after mine... that is why this site is great!:biggrin:

airrat

good advice, I only want to add if you stick them in the sun do it in the early hours. The hotter times of the day could cause the pens to crack.

Top Bottom