Looking For

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I am looking for a place that sells black tubes for the cigar or Baron pens. I think they are 10mm. Any suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pentex

There is someone on this forum that sells a brass ager product that works really well and you can reuse it over and over. I use it on a lot of different type pen tubes. It turns the tubes black.

workinforwood

Those cut to length tubes are really expensive these days. I'd buy the tubes regular, then go to the gun shop and get some brass black. You just rough the tubes a bit and dunk them in the solution for 20 seconds then pull them out, they are black. You can black a ton of tubes with one of them little bottles.

W.Y.

I must be missing something.
I just paint my tubes to the color that would best go with the blank I am using .
I have 20 different colors of acrlyic artist paints in 8 oz bottles from when I used to do a lot of scroll sawing. . The dollar store variety woks just fine.
Some paint the inside of the blanks as well but I have never found it necessary.

I painted the tubes only (no inside of barrels) in the appropriate colors for this batch a couple weeks ago .

Quick , ,easy , , and no problem.

357160890.jpg

PR_Princess

For most occassions a spray paint will work fine too. If you use CA to glue in your tubes, make sure that it is metal primer paint (like Rustoleum). Or it will "eat" it the paint.

John, I powder coat tubes all of the time. I have black PC baron tubes. If you just need a few sets, PM me your address and I will send you some.

Last edited:

flyingmelon

Not an original idea. I read it on here before and it works great. Colored Sharpies. never had a problem with CA attacking it, easy to use, no over spray. I have not used the metalic ones but I would think that they would work as well.

jttheclockman

Thanks everyone I think what I decided to do will be to powdercoat them. I am set up to do this so I guess that will be the way I will go.

If I were to use brass ager where do you get this and will it make the tube really black.???

I can not use paint because I am casting these and am afraid the paint will not stand up to the heat and will fail or wrinkle. Plus they have to be able to withstand CA glue because there will be objects glued to them before casting. Now you have a feel for why I am asking.

Thanks for the replys.

Texatdurango

....If I were to use brass ager where do you get this and will it make the tube really black.???
John, I have used tbe brass ager MLKWoodworking sells and it turns the blanks pretty dark black. I like it because it's a "flat" black where some of the powdercoated tubes being sold are glossy or shiny.

It's pretty simple to use, just pour a little liquid into a cup, drop the tube(s) in, wait a few minutes then remove the tubes, rinse and pat dry.

Some tiny black residue remains after treating so I just tilt the cup letting the residue settle to the bottom then pour the ager back into it's bottle and reuse it over and over. I bought a bottle 1 1/2 years ago and am still using it after treating coultless tubes.

workinforwood

If you are planning on doing something like I do..scrolling objects, gluing them to tube and then casting...spray paint works fine. I just use any spray paint that is cheap, and let it sit overnight to cure before gluing the objects to the tube. I mostly use Krylon and a drop of med CA to glue the pieces on the tube. It will not melt in the pot...PR or alumilite, no difference. It gets hot, but not that hot! Brass black does do a pretty good job and is very quick and easy to use. Be sure the tubes are roughed up a bit or there can be some spots that don't take.

Never paint after you glue the objects..always just paint the tube. You do not want paint on the sidewalls of the objects or you are going to have a problem. DAMHIKT

Top Bottom