On-Line Pen Design Studio

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

psilevy

Hi All,
I'm inviting IAP members to beta test a new online app we've developed to help the pen turner or his customer to decide the perennial question "what blank should I use for my pen" or visa versa.
Go to www.pennstateind.com/testdrive to visit this new "on-line pen design studio", You can post your comments here on the IAP or respond to me via the email link on the bottom of the app screen. I'm very interested in your comments, recommendations and suggestions.
If you have any questions the group may be interested in - just post here.
Enjoy !
Ed
VP and GM
Penn State Industries

Hosspen

Ed, I think it works fine. I really don't think the enlargement that pops up at the top gives new penturners a real look of what that type pen will look like if it's turned from wood or a colorful material. I realize the "white" pen bodies are meant to showcase the pen parts, not the material it will be turned from, but it makes them look like store bought pens to me. This is probably just me, I don't what a better generic material or color would be. I'm sorry if this doesn't help. Keep up the good work.

psilevy

Keep Going

Hoss,
You sort of miss the point, click "next and you can select other pens from the category then "next" again and you can llaminate hundreds of blanks onto this pen .. and even rotate them (and buy if you want) .. I think you should take another look.
Ed

USAFVET98

I like it Ed. It gives us a good idea of what a pen would look like. Now if you could create a version for us to post on our individual websites for our customers to use and the end result shows the retail price, that would be great. In the meantime, good job and I will be happy to use it.
Thanks

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Looks good but how do I see what my home cast blanks would look like with the kit.:biggrin:

Seriously I think it's a great idea, sometimes I have trouble visualizing how a kit and blank would look together and something like that really helps.

bitshird

The only problem with it is it shows the cost of the materials, and if you are working with a potential client, I would prefer them not know what my costs are, other than that it's pretty neat way to see what your pen will look like.

dkarcher

I think it works great! Does give you ( or your client) an idea of what the finished product would look like. The client doesn't have to see what it cost.

OKLAHOMAN

Good thinking, might just be something for us turners to see what a finished pen would look like, just would never have my customer go there for obvious reasons.

jimofsanston

I like it Ed. I would like to see if you could make it so we can down load it and use it for our customers with out the cost. Then we can order the unit.

jeffnreno

I like it Ed. I would 2nd the recomendation that it be downloadable to take with us to customer locations and also be able to input our own price schedule.

Canedriver

The only problem with it is it shows the cost of the materials, and if you are working with a potential client, I would prefer them not know what my costs are, other than that it's pretty neat way to see what your pen will look like.

Actually I bet that could be worked to eliminate the materials cost and packaged to sell as a program. That would allow you to use it on your websites for those that sell pens.

Sell it then give free design updates for a year to those that bought it, after that charge a few bucks per update and you have a money maker. Your not actually doing any more work, its the same program rather its showing material cost or not.

Dear Penn State that will be $10,000 for that marketing idea or i will take stock options :biggrin:

greggas

Ed;

I must admit that at first i was skeptical but I really like it. I think it is a tool that I would actually use from time to time, especially when I have lots of production to run

OldGrumpy

Thanks from a new turner

It will greatly helpful to me as someone new to turning. I can get a visual on how something can fit together. Thanks

psilevy

Mr. Canedriver,
This version of the app is to make it easier for our customers to select pens and blanks for the purpose of ordering from our store.

Our next phase is to convert the app into a Free sales tool for you. Ie, at the end instead of your ordering from our store, your customer orders from you. This would mean personalizing and restricted access to that app (plus custom pricing). Your idea plus others from the IAP and our customer base will help give us direction to develop this into a great sales tool.

Thanks for your ideas !!
Ed

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Mr. Canedriver,

Our next phase is to convert the app into a Free sales tool for you. Ie, at the end instead of your ordering from our store, your customer orders from you.
Ed

Pretty awesome. It would be a great help!!

Grizz

Banned
The only thing I can see as a problem is that no two woods are alike... even if it is the same species. Customer might not get what they were thinking.

I did Olive wood, and thought... what if the wood doesn't look like that. Outside of that... I think it is a neat idea.

Canedriver

Mr. Canedriver,
This version of the app is to make it easier for our customers to select pens and blanks for the purpose of ordering from our store.

Our next phase is to convert the app into a Free sales tool for you. Ie, at the end instead of your ordering from our store, your customer orders from you. This would mean personalizing and restricted access to that app (plus custom pricing). Your idea plus others from the IAP and our customer base will help give us direction to develop this into a great sales tool.

Thanks for your ideas !!
Ed

Guess that means stock options is out of the question? :smile-big:

i've been waiting for something like this...most customers of mine can't "see" what their blank would look like turned and on the kit they have selected...now this shows them their future pen.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Hosspen

oops on my previous post

Ed,
Man, do I feel like an idiot. That is so cool - I was in a hurry the first time and didn't even see the beauty of the page. I was looking at the naked pens thnking that was all there was. My apologies - I see nothing wrong with it now that I opened my eyes. I don't know how you do that but those are some cool "rollovers".

jleiwig

The only problem I see is that some of the blanks don't look like they were photographed under the same light as the kit. For example, the black with gold web truestone looks black and green instead of gold, while the gold on the majestic jr kit really pops. I've made this combo, and the gold on both are about the same....luminescence....??

djwood1

Great tool! I would really like to have this tool for my customers. If you do make this available for us to use for our customers, we would need to be able to add/remove pens and wood types. I don't offer all the selections PSI has to offer. I only turn woods also. So, the tool would need to be flexible for the pen maker to tailor to their particular needs.

RDH79

Good Idea

Very nice. My customer could get a better idea what turning material options are available. Looking forward to the releaseof the program. (Without the prices please)

Rich H.

glwalker

I like it.... but..........

You might take some time and go through the options for accuracy. I believe I went into Broadwell Nuveo (spelling??) and kicked on the rollerball and got a pick of the fountain pen. Also in the woods there are two afzelia's with the same description. I like the idea and the way its layed out. Very creative!

Russianwolf

It gives a fair representation though it looks kinda weird to me for some reason. That and you guys only have one kit (Full sized Majestic since I don't make postable pens any more) that I buy any more, so its rather limited for me.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Tested your app by selecting a 'comfort pen' and a 'cocobolo' blank.
The purchase step allowed me to choose to buy only one kit, but the wood blank selection only showed a 'ten pack undrilled' or a 'five pack drilled'.
Maybe thats your only offering, but i might not necessarily want to order that many blanks at one time of that particular wood..?

The app allowed me to rotate the wood on the kit, not the pen.
If the customer see's something in a particular blank that floats his boat while it is rotating, might be a surprise when he gets the finished product and its not there...just presuming you are not shipping the same blank you are showing..?

I do like the idea and concept though. I do art/craft shows and have no problem taking my laptop. How large will the total app consist of with all the pics of kits and blanks, etc are loaded. Most shows I do will most likely not have Internet access.

oldsmokey

Very good tool with a lot of possibilities. Would it be possible to add a inlay page that would show such things a celtic cross or a christian cross?
Ellis

Penl8the

Thumb's up

Hi Ed,

It works great. This is another example of technology enhances another way to do things.

I believe some clothing/home renovation online sites have similar features, but for us PEN MAKERs --> now that is relevant!!!:good::good::good::good::good:

I can't wait to see when you have implement all the blanks in the feature.

AKBeaver

I really like this. I have been asked to do some teacher's pens and played with it to see if I could use different colors,, but it only applies the wood/acrylic to the entire pen. If you can make it so each segment of the pen can be assigned a different choice of blanks would be a great addition.

Dave

Top Bottom