Leather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

I am trying to wrap leather rather than to stack it. I have a young friend, who took second place in saddle making in the Texas State Fair. He has a client that asked for a "tooled" pen. Can you lead me in any direction where someone has tried this? The first attempt to wrap went well. Two concerns are the seam and the thickness of the leather.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomS

If you don't want to use any stitching, you might want to skive both edges, so they overlap slightly. That way the seam will be pretty flat.
Tom

Padre

If you don't want to use any stitching, you might want to skive both edges, so they overlap slightly. That way the seam will be pretty flat.
Tom
That's a great idea.

John, let us know how this progresses!

Jgrden

Hey John, what do you think of instead of being concerned about the seam, why don't you try to enhance it. Maybe like a baseball seam. I've seen these blanks around before.
Okay, I am going to practice this and see how far we go. Thank you.

cedarguitar

I tried doing the same thing once with limited success. After speaking to a friend his advice was sewing it when the leather was wet. Then it dries and shrinks tightening up as it does. Haven't re-tryed it yet.

Jgrden

I tried doing the same thing once with limited success. After speaking to a friend his advice was sewing it when the leather was wet. Then it dries and shrinks tightening up as it does. Haven't re-tryed it yet.
I had thought about wetting the leather and forming it around the tube. This is a good idea too.

Top Bottom