Lathe Setup Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Oldmanwheeler

Hello,

My questions is more a lathe related question than a pen turning question but I was not sure where to put it. Anyway,I have a Jet 1014VS lathe and I need some advice on setting it up for turning walking canes. I've added a General Adjustable Chuck on the drive end and a steady rest in the center. My problem is at the tailstock end. The live center that came with the lathe does not secure the wood stock and my stock keeps breaking loose and flying off the lathe. I have been to two woodworking stores and they have sent home two different Stubcenters but neither one works on the Jet 1014. Since the Stubcenters are solid, when I adjust and tighten the tailstock the Stubcenters do not allow the wood stock to spin.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas, suggestions or recommendation are welcomed because I stumped! I had no idea turning a cane cold be so complex!! :confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

You need another live center. A stebcenter isnt a live center, it s dead center. It doesnt spin. Is meant to go into your headstock not your tailsock. Im not sure what the guys at the woodworking stores are thinking....unless i am missing something and they now make a revolving stebcenter livecenter? Unless they are meaning for you to use it in you headstock and you are just putting it into the wrong center. All you should need is this stebcenter in your head and a good live center in the tail stock.

Hope this helps

Justin

aplpickr

Stebcenters come for both the headstock and tailstock. The tailstock ones have bearings and will turn on themselves. What do you have? If solid steel, then you have the wrong ones. Is your lathe ways long enough to turn canes? Canes with three joints are not going to be very strong.

Bill

Oldmanwheeler

Stebcenters come for both the headstock and tailstock. The tailstock ones have bearings and will turn on themselves. What do you have? If solid steel, then you have the wrong ones. Is your lathe ways long enough to turn canes? Canes with three joints are not going to be very strong.

Bill

I have an extension on the lathe so it can handle wood stock up to 36" and my cane only needs to be 33" with the handle. They both gave me a solid stebcenter. Any recommendations on where i can order a stubcenter with the ball bearings. What brand do you recommend? Thanks for your help.

okiebugg

Live Center

Bill

I have an extension on the lathe so it can handle wood stock up to 36" and my cane only needs to be 33" with the handle. They both gave me a solid stebcenter. Any recommendations on where i can order a stubcenter with the ball bearings. What brand do you recommend? Thanks for your help.

You can get a good live center from CSUSA although expensive. I recommend and use a bull nose 60degree live center from Wholsale Tool. They are less expensive and quite reliable...
Here is a link:
http://tool.wttool.com/search?w=Live+center&x=0&y=0

I use this live 60 degree center from Woodcraft. Works great and the price was right for me.

WoodRiver 60° Ball Bearing Live Tailstock Center #2 Morse Taper

I'm assuming your tailstock is MT2. I was pretty confused when I first started but once you get the lingo and the basic idea down it makes perfect sense.

Find the center of one of the ends of the wood. Make a nice hole with an awl and your tail stock cone will sit in the hole. Tighten the tail stock so it snugs in there nicely and your ready to turn.

^^ike

Top Bottom