Attachments

• IMG_1111.PNG
    IMG_1111.PNG
    233.5 KB · Views: 305
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Unless it includes a good bit of extras like chucks, turning tools, etc. and is in really good conditon, I would pass on it or make a low-ball offer like $50 or so.

You can buy a brand new one at Harbor Freight any time for $200 and with a 20% off coupon, you can get it for $160.

The lathe is a good starter lathe though. I have the exact same lathe, but in a different color from Rockler and it has served me well for the past 3 years. I've recently stepped up to a full-size lathe, but I still use the mini for some small projects.

epigolucky

I do see a lot of rust on the bed, quill, and faceplate. It is a good lathe I have the same one from Harbor freight. I would be concerned of the condition. I agree with Ed, $50 and if they balk I would say that it hasnt been kept in great conditions and it will require some work to get it back to working condition - lots of rust.

campzeke

To me that looks like the low end 1/3 HP Harbor Freight lathe with a #1MT. If so, you can buy it new for $129. If you use a 20% coupon ... $103.20 + local tax. Look for at least 1/2 HP with #2MT. You may spend a little more but be happier in the long run. Check Craigslist. Look under both "lathe" and "wood lathe". In the "lathe" search you will come up with a lot of metal lathes but you also see some good wood lathes that don't show up in the "wood lathe" search.

chartle

To me that looks like the low end 1/3 HP Harbor Freight lathe with a #1MT. If so, you can buy it new for $129. If you use a 20% coupon ... $103.20 + local tax. Look for at least 1/2 HP with #2MT. You may spend a little more but be happier in the long run. Check Craigslist. Look under both "lathe" and "wood lathe". In the "lathe" search you will come up with a lot of metal lathes but you also see some good wood lathes that don't show up in the "wood lathe" search.

Its actually its the one one size above the 1/3 HP mini lathe with the MT 2 and larger motor.

As posted above its $199 in the stores.

Benchtop Wood Lathe - 5 Speed

RustySocket

I have that same lathe and have turned twenty or so pens on it. The frame of the lathe is rough cast and well develop rust on the unpainted or un machined surfaces. I'd imagine that is pretty common with all cast products at this price point. Mine centered well. After having used it a bit I do see how having variable speed would be nice at times, but I knew that it did not have that at the time of purchase. It is simple enough to change speeds. I did purchase a 4-jaw chuck and Jacob chuck for drilling blanks as well.

My personal opinion is that all of these small lathes are pretty similar, some have a couple of nice features such as variable speed or a built in lamp to differentiate them, but fundamentally they do the same thing, spin a small piece of wood.

You can get a new HF lathe for 160$ if you hunt around for a 20% coupon which seem to be in abundant supply. Mine had expired by a day when I went to the store and the nice lady honored it anyway.

Loucurr

This is the HF model that sells for $200. The rust is only on the surface and wipes right off. The centers line up nicely. He took $75.00.

Did I mention IT's HEAVY!

I upgraded from an old two pipe bed craftsman and I took this for a rest spin today...a much nicer experience from the craftsman.

Top Bottom