Laser Engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

killer-beez

All, I just want to pass on my thanks for a great job by one of our IAP members. Stan (mrcook4570 of mestraridesigns.com/turners) did a great job of laser engraving my business name on 3 of my finished pens as examples for my customers. I would highly recommend Stan for any laser work you may have. Thanks again Stan.

Attachments

• DSCF3673.jpg
    DSCF3673.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCF3678.jpg
    DSCF3678.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 394
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gulfcoast

---- that is a nice job (both on your part and Stan's)

---- Stan also raises Labs, and there is a rumor that these well trained dogs are the actual operators of the laser engraving equipment.

Joe

george

Nice work ... while we are on the subject, I would need advice on filling the laser engrave with acryl paint colour.

After making CA finish, I put on the laser engrave acryil colour. And it is just fine on dark woods like walnut, but on the maple it mess up the finish. It leaves colour stains wich can not be removed with anything but sanding.
The finish is dry, it is multilayer and it holds ink (I try every pen after making CA to see if it keeps the ink from getting to the wood).

I have made several pieces and try-outs on not-engraved wood and it is the same story. That means the laser work has nothing to do with it.

Is acryl paint too agreesive for CA finish ? Should I buff the pieces with tripoli before filling the engrave with colour ?
Thanks in advance for help.

marymn

great job killer-beez!!!
nice engraving...

Marking Systems

All, I just want to pass on my thanks for a great job by one of our IAP members. Stan (mrcook4570 of mestraridesigns.com/turners) did a great job of laser engraving my business name on 3 of my finished pens as examples for my customers. I would highly recommend Stan for any laser work you may have. Thanks again Stan.

I need a laser engraving on my Lifting Tackles! Whether its possible??

Last edited:

gothycdesigns

I wonder how well that would work on a leather pen/pencil blank? I've recently discovered turning leather for pen bodies. The pens I've made so far are catching some eyes at work and If I knew what it would look like then maybe the Pres. of the company may be interested.

What was the cost to have it laser engraved? I work for a company that makes heavy duty boots www.wescoboots.com All Amercian made, Amercican company and owned. Sorry shameless plug, but leather is our main material for our boots. So....thus was curious.

Thanks and can PM me with info would be great.

Nice work ... while we are on the subject, I would need advice on filling the laser engrave with acryl paint colour.

After making CA finish, I put on the laser engrave acryil colour. And it is just fine on dark woods like walnut, but on the maple it mess up the finish. It leaves colour stains wich can not be removed with anything but sanding.
The finish is dry, it is multilayer and it holds ink (I try every pen after making CA to see if it keeps the ink from getting to the wood).

I have made several pieces and try-outs on not-engraved wood and it is the same story. That means the laser work has nothing to do with it.

Is acryl paint too agreesive for CA finish ? Should I buff the pieces with tripoli before filling the engrave with colour ?
Thanks in advance for help.

George,
maybe you need to do the laser work, fill the colour in, then do the CA finish... I don't know but sounds like the colour might be disolving and mixing with your CA....

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
What about engraving and filling before you do your final sanding? (before CA)
I know many engravers will engrave, paint the whole surface and then sand off
the paint that didn't fill the engraving. That leaves the colored lettering. Then if
you put your CA over that, it will still have a smooth finish, even over the lettering.

HawksFeather

I was thinking about some work as well (different source) and was told to put on a layer or two of CA before sending the blank. The blank would be engraved and a layer of color added. When I get it back I can complete the finish process - either with a normal process or by first filling the engraving with thick CA and then completing the finish process.

I don't really know if that would solve the problem or not, just repeating what I was told.

Jerry

Top Bottom